Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a new house that is to have boxed "Greek" cornice returns at each corner of the 6/12 gable roof. There is an overhang of 18" at eaves and rake.

The return box measures 36"x24" so that 18" is towards the facia and 18" is against the side wall. It will be wrapped by a 1x6 facia and either shingled like the roof (3-tab) or covered with copper (TBD).

The cornice return's roof is spec'd as hip (no porkchops). I have framed standard hip roof where pitches are equal, but I'm not sure how to start laying out and cutting these hip rafters (2 rafters from the end truss above the center of box to each corner... ).

I've ordered Will Holliday's book, but haven't received it yet, and don't know if he covers this topic.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me get started?

Thanks
Bob in Lone Oak, TX

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking for info on the same thing I'm building my house and I have roofed and soffit and fascia these hip returns or eyebrows as we call them but never built one

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking frame out the box then cit a 6/12 on a board and run it along wall where fascia meets wall them nust out one rafter in middle 9f front fascia at a 6/12 then just float in mailers at the corners bit I may be wrong lol

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
I'm thinking frame out the box then cit a 6/12 on a board and run it along wall where fascia meets wall them nust out one rafter in middle 9f front fascia at a 6/12 then just float in mailers at the corners bit I may be wrong lol
He may have completed it 12 years ago...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts