Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently starting to finish my basement. I want to frame around the furnace, and am wondering about desired clearances for walls around the furnace.

I am aware that I need adequate ventilation for the furnace to maximize its efficiency, which I will accomplish via vents.

I also will provide a 48" wide set of mirrored closet doors in case something needs to be removed from the room (i.e furnace a-frame, or water heater).

The wall behind the furnace will be spaced 6" away. The end walls will be 36" away, and the front wall traversing the furnace will be placed 36" away.

Is this adequate? Are there specific codes I need to worry about? Where should I go to check the codes applicable to Omaha, NE?

George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, always check building codes.

The furnace will have the spacing listed either on it somewhere or in the literature that came with it. The 6" spacing probably won't cut it unless it's the side for the return air. don-ohio ;)

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
And don't forget 5/8's type x sheet rock both side of the wall if you want at least a one hour fire rating.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
gcary said:
Are there specific codes I need to worry about? Where should I go to check the codes applicable to Omaha, NE?
Contact the local building dept, they will be inspecting the work so asking the people who will be doing the inspecting probably makes a lot of sense, huh? The inspectors are usually retired contractors and often they will share a wealth of knowledge with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts