Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, new here, but not a lot of deck framing specific experience. I'm constructing a floating deck off the corner of my house - best described in pictures (used Sketchup). deck.jpg shows the corner of the house.

I'm trying to figure out how to frame this deck so I can have a wrap around step as shown. You can see what I have so far in framing_start.jpg. I've seen designs for floating steps, but I think they'll need to be suspended off the deck in this case. One side is easier (the front side) because the steps won't be perpendicular to the joists. Any advice here is appreciated.

The plan is to install 5/4 x 6 mahogany decking, but I haven't figured out the total price yet (locally about $2.29/ft).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
We would pour a shallow footing (8") and anchor a 2x8 or 2x6 PT plate into it, parallel to the deck, wherever the steps are to land. With only one step, this is quite easy. Basically just block from the deck fascia/rim joist, on top of the PT plate, to the riser on your step.

Concrete pour should not extend beyond your riser. PT plate can be a little shy of your step riser.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions - a box step all the way around would be simpler to frame. I'll update the drawing and repost sometime later tonight.

One thing I'm concerned about still is ventilation under the deck. I forgot to mention this will be installed in Portland Oregon - it'll be raining all winter. To top it off, I still have to figure out what to do about the two gutters that currently drain under the deck. Perhaps I can combine a long shallow dry well with the footer for the box step...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've updated the framing at the top - definitely like the patio stone suggestion, since it'll also provide a way to keep the grass and dirt a few inches away from the bottom step.

What you don't see in the above pictures are where the footings under the 4x8s goes, but they'll be every 4-6' or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts