Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all
Hi, I need some advice. The home I'm working on is a late 19th century, balloon framed, story and a half farm house. It has some odd things about it though. The house is a basic rectangle, 24'x32'. It has a standard 6/12 gable roof, with the gable ends on the standard 24' ends of the house. The 32' sides of the house rise above the first floor ceiling joists 50", creating a knee wall on the second level of the house. This second level is divided into two bedrooms. Here is my problem, please bare with me here. Half of the first floor ceiling joists are oriented in the long direction of the house, making a center wall of the house a load bearing wall. This wall sides one side of a bathroom. This bathroom is only 5'x7'. The load bearing wall was cut up pretty bad in 1930, when plumbing was installed. I want to move the wall toward the joists that is supports by 4' to increase the size of the bath. I want to support the ends or the joists that were on this wall with a hidden beam and joist hangers. My problem is that I can't come up with the correct way to tie this beam in with the exterior wall or tie in the other end of the beam with the existing structure. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. I do have a building permit to do this and this is not my first home renovation. This is just the first home I've worked on that deviates so far from modern framing practices. Thank's a lot, Mike​

1 - 1 of 1 Posts