Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all hope all is well, I'm thinking about framing a shed attached to my house sort of like the pic attached

I want to attach it to the side of my house and side it with the same siding and roof material to match

I'm pretty confident I can do it myself not an issue. Just looking for any input.

Things that I may easily overlook.

I'm thinking of a 3/12 roof roughly 10' at the high side . Striping the siding and attaching to the buildings sheating

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,439 Posts
You should certainly strip the siding, and flash it properly.

I like to do a ledger board for short spans like that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree I planed on a ledger board also flashing it, like a deck ledger..

I was thinking to have my siding guy come and strip/ prep for the area I plan to frame i would assume it would be easier for him?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,439 Posts
Eh, maybe.

Depends on the siding type.

T&G can be tricky to remove without damaging one more row than you wanted to. 🤣

Shiplap is pretty easy.

T1-11 or other sheet product is a whole ‘nother issue.

What do you have ?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,439 Posts
I have basically zero experience with vinyl.

Not a common product here.

Bunch of guys on here are pretty familiar with it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
For vinyl it's pretty easy to remove - buy an siding unlock hook tool at the hardware store (about 9 bucks here) to unlatch a row then strip it off a row at a time. A small pry bar to pull the first course of nails can be helpful, but you can just pop the siding off the nails instead.

Just be careful in cold weather, the vinyl can be brittle. Maybe try on a warmer day, when the sun is on the siding.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
You can grab a seam and pull it open easy enough. Don't flash it like a deck.
The right way will be to open siding and either cut out the foam insulation 6 inches higher if present (save for reuse). Cut house wrap about 1.5" above ledger and flip it up
When doing the roof, run you felt up to house and slip/tuck an extra strip under the house wrap. That's waterproof without further action.
Later once roofed, an "L" bend apron flashing will go over the roof and once again under the house wrap. From there finish siding.

·
General Contractor
7,995 Posts
Get a zoning approval before you plan to build this.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What is the plan for footings? Being attached to the house you'll need to be below frost. Looks like tight digging with the fence there.

·
Registered
Remodel
28,071 Posts
When I cut in, I don't worry about the siding. Set the depth of cut on the saw and follow a cutting guide 7nkess you're good at straight cuts off a ladder in awkward positions.

Once it's cut, strip the vinyl etc down to the studs.

Just make sure you get the cuts right. I tend to make the first pass with a plywood blade in backwards to keep from busting up the vinyl edge, then use a demo blade.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,118 Posts
The roof's going to be shedding (no pun intended) into the neighbor's yard, you'll need a gutter and downspout to keep it all on your property. I was surprised to see legal sheds like that allowed in San Diego, thought the setback and fire issues would negate them being done but yes to the suggestions that you make sure with the AHJ that it's going to be okay to do.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How legal do you want to be? Attaching it to the house and being that close to the property line will mean zoning and perhaps a design review approval in addition to a building permit. Most municipalities will require a permit even for a standalone shed, but those are concerned with setbacks. The easiest permit route is for a standalone shed. You might have to fight the building department/zoning board for your attached shed in that narrow strip. Again, depends on how legal you want it to be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts