Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing the rest of my basement and started to put up NON LOAD bearing walls.
I noticed that the walls that the contractor built in the basement have no jack studs in doorways and the header is attached directly to the king studs.

Is this normal? is there a disadvantage to doing this for the rest of the basement?

Why do you even need a jack stud in a non load bearing wall?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I personally don't frame door ways like that. I think it is hacky. But it's ok for non load walls.
I have seen this style before by mexican crews and is excepted by the local building depts.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My advice: frame your door openings in the normal way, meaning kings and jacks and cripples above the header...rule of thumb from my neck of the woiods: give a three inch nailing surface all around the opening..it makes it tighter, and gives plenty of nailing for trim.

-old

·
smartazz contractor
81 Posts
old27 said:
My advice: frame your door openings in the normal way, meaning kings and jacks and cripples above the header...rule of thumb from my neck of the woiods: give a three inch nailing surface all around the opening..it makes it tighter, and gives plenty of nailing for trim.

-old

:w/stupid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts