Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a carpenter,s helper in nj and we are framing a blind valley on a 8 in 12 pitch roof and the addition part is 8 in 12 also any thoughts i thank you

·
Registered
22 Posts
kevinnj said:
i am a carpenter,s helper in nj and we are framing a blind valley on a 8 in 12 pitch roof and the addition part is 8 in 12 also any thoughts i thank you
All I do is find center where the ridge board will rest then get your plane lines for the sleeper and ridge, the sleeper is what the rafters need to rest on as well as the ridge board. then pull your layout (i usually tac a nail at each mark on the sleepers to pull my measurement from to the ridge). Then you may or maynot need to coller tie the rafters.

Hope that helps -will.

Attachments

·
GC
11 Posts
I'm in the same situation, but the response to this thread doesn't help me remember hoe to find the correct angled cuts for the jack rafters. If anyone can help me this, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm not sure just what you need, but the jacks level (long) cut is the same as the addition pitch, with the degree of the main roof pitch.

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
Pretty simple to find the angles. Existing roof pitch is your bevel. New roof pitch back cut or simply 90 degrees subtracted by the pitch of your new roof.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Finding the "correct angle cuts" is easily done with a speed square. If you are familiar with the plumb cut, level cut and bevel it is all easy.
Say a 6/12 roof... the angle is 26.5*.... in your case it is laying on a 6/12 so its alll equal cuts. 26.5* plumb cut.... 63.5* level cut (90-26.5) and a 26.5* bevel. Using a speed square just be sure you are using the common scale for commons and the hip/val scale for well... the hips and valleys.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
Hey framing pro I know career framers that dont know how to read a square. You should be proud of what you have learned. I dont know you and Im proud of you. :)You beat yourself up trying to really understand your trade. Thats admirable and it will stay with you forever.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Hey framing pro I know career framers that dont know how to read a square. You should be proud of what you have learned. I dont know you and Im proud of you. :)You beat yourself up trying to really understand your trade. Thats admirable and it will stay with you forever.
Thank you, i appreciate the positive (and negative) feedback :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts