Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
90%-er
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be starting my sixth basement frame job (not new construction, just finishing a basement) in a couple weeks.

The walls are poured cement, and the builder hung a thin layer of fiberglass insulation over the walls, covered completely by a white plastic vapor barrier sealed at the seams with white tape. There is no pre-existing framing; the insulation is attached to the sill plate and is literally just hanging there. Never come across this before.

Is there any reason I wouldn't frame right up to that insulation and essentially just pinch it between the concrete wall and my new wall? That is, do I need to remove this stuff for any reason before installing my own framing (homeowner is going to do insulation/barrier and drywall himself, so he says).

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Rip it down and throw if away

It meets code minimum standards

And you do not want to create double vapor barrier, moisture gets trapped and leads to mold and rot

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I second that. Tear it down. The only way I'll do a basement is with 2" xps attached to the foundation and foamed or taped at the seams. Fiberglass batts have no place against foundation walls.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Framing in front of the insulation pretty much what the major builders do here. They don't apply any vapor barriers.. just screw drywall to the studs. I guess the thinking is that it counts as an interior wall and if the current insulation is doing it's job, just leave well enough alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts