Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, have a question. I have an open porch, that I torn down ,and rebuild just the outside frame which is just 2x8's double on 3 sides, the 4 side is the house that also has a ledger board where the 2x6's will sit on and come off to form the roof. Now the 2x8's as a whole are pitched, because this is a porch, and I wanted the roof framing to follow that pitch. I have drawings attached of the before framing, and would like to know what is the best way to frame it now. Keep in mind I need a 7 - 8" overhange on all 3 sides. The back ledger sits right on the 2x8's so that is where the o pitch starts, when i get out 6 feet, I have 1" final pitch. Any advice would be appeciated, please see the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cole 21

Offer any help/advice, on my question?? I'm going to be bulding it this weekend

Cole_21 said:
Here, I made it easy.

Offer any help/advice, on my question?? I'm going to be bulding it this weekend

Edit: Beware it is huge.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Where did all of our roofers go?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, If you would have said 'LA and MS' it would have been more comprehensible. Still funny but harder to discern.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
John, looks like you about have it. Not too much to screw up on that pitch. I think you could have run your 10' 2" front beam out another 8" on either side and got the same thing using one rafter cut all the way across. I'm not a big fan of the flat roof. Make sure you work out your flashing. I alwys try to do my flashing first on a deal like this because it is easier to tuck it under existing siding, etc. without a roof in the way. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
John_K said:
Hi everyone, have a question. I have an open porch, that I torn down ,and rebuild just the outside frame which is just 2x8's double on 3 sides, the 4 side is the house that also has a ledger board where the 2x6's will sit on and come off to form the roof. Now the 2x8's as a whole are pitched, because this is a porch, and I wanted the roof framing to follow that pitch. I have drawings attached of the before framing, and would like to know what is the best way to frame it now. Keep in mind I need a 7 - 8" overhange on all 3 sides. The back ledger sits right on the 2x8's so that is where the o pitch starts, when i get out 6 feet, I have 1" final pitch. Any advice would be appeciated, please see the pictures.
John,

It sounds like you have three sides of double 2x8's as girders with the sides sticking out from your house 6' and the girders are pitched already 1".

Now at the house end where the two side girders are nailed to the house you have a 2x6 ledger that will get nailed to the house on top of the double 2x8's and then your rafters will get nailed to that ledger going out on top of the outside girder that is 6' off the house.

You also want a 7-8" overhang on all three sides. I don't know why you have side girders for this because all you need would be the outside girder for this shed roof but if you have the sides in already, that's fine. Are they inside the wall being held up by 2x's. If not you will have to bolt the ledger into the wall to hold up the rafters. There's many different scenarios here. I'm trying though.

I would run the 2x6 ledger past the outside of the side girders to nail your "Fly Rafter" on (that's what we call then here). If you go with an 8" overhang and you use a 2x4 or 2x6 for a fly rafter then you just stick the 2x6 past 6-1/2" on each side and that will give you your 8" overhang once you nail the fly rafter into it.

If you use a 2x subfascia you do the same thing on the front and stick that past the full 8" this time nailing into your plumbcuts of all your rafter overhangs and fly rafter holding the fly rafter up.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Is this drawing close to what your talking about?

Joe Carola

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts