·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,511 Posts
I run across one once in a while.

What's wrong with pushmatics? :blink:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,511 Posts
See them all the time out here. My house has one.
Be afraid. Be very afraid. We don't call FPE Fire-Producing Equipment for nothing.

Reactions: plummen

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,511 Posts
Do you mind FPE if it is not stab lock? Some electricians I know don't even mind stab lock as long as it was "lubed up" properly
WTH does 'lubed up' mean? You slobber oil all over it or what?

Reactions: plummen

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,511 Posts
I have never installed an FPE, so no personal experience doing this, but apparently from what I have been told they used to apply a non-conductive lubricant to them....
Not sure what that would accomplish. It won't, however, make them any safer. Many were manufactured without a legal listing, so 'lubing one up' don't make a difference when it comes to the innards working as desired.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
As 480 stated many were made without a legal listing so why would you not mention this in a home inspection? I have replaced several in the past that a home inspector took note of and the HO replaced it either before selling the home or the new owner opted too after negotiating a cheaper purchase price far cheaper than what the upgrade cost.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,511 Posts
In some states (out east), insurance won't underwrite a home with FPE panels.

·
Registered
559 Posts
All the time here. When power was first brought out to the valley there was only electrician here and thats all he used. Almost all the houses, barnes, well houses that have not been upgraded have FPE stab loks. I recomend to all to have them replaced

·
Spec-Pro
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As 480 stated many were made without a legal listing so why would you not mention this in a home inspection? I have replaced several in the past that a home inspector took note of and the HO replaced it either before selling the home or the new owner opted too after negotiating a cheaper purchase price far cheaper than what the upgrade cost.
Who said I would not mention it in a report? I just want to see what others opinions are.

·
manipulator of wood
835 Posts
FPE was based in newark nj. and we have them all over the place,
But we rip them out all the time too!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We see them up here as well...junk.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
The main problem with them is that the breakers would not trip sometimes causing a fire. Happened many many times, "lubing" would not fix the breaker. The are many developments built in the late 60s and until late 70s around here with them, some with aluminum wiring.

I always try to get them to replace the panel if they can.

http://www.ismypanelsafe.com/fpe.aspx

·
Registered
4 Posts
I come across alot of FPE Stab Lok Panel in the Houston Area.On every one i see,I recommend to my customers to change them out.And I change out alot of them.Atleast 3 or 4 a month.As well as Zinsco.Any panel more than 30 years old should be replaced.I recommend 25yrs.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We probably have 10's of thousands out here in NorCal. I have seen entire housing developments with them (FPE). Also, thousands of Zinsco Panels.

For some reason, old wooden cabins and houses in the woods all have either FPE or Zinsco.

As far as replacing them, it all depends on the HO. Most HO's have had some hack or cheap contractor just add one or more sub-panels to 'em. No inspection, no permit. Or, they go down to HD or one of many electrical suppliers and pick up old breakers if they need one.

When HO's hear what the cost of Permits, inspection, ground rods, new panel, new service wiring (sometimes) and new breakers, they generally don't do it. It's only if something goes wrong( really wrong ) do the HO's finally break down and go the new panel route.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts