Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all you masonry guys. I had a downspout that got detached from the drainage line and the water seeped into the crawlspace. The crawlspace has a damp mildew smell. I have since fixed the downspout and everything looked good last rain. Now I was thinking about spraying all the walls down with raw bleach just to kill any mold that may try to grow and get rid of the smell. Is there anything that would be better????

·
Registered
686 Posts
Better than bleach

If you are going to do it yourself, that may be ok. But for real stopping power, check the professionals. A guy I know has gotten into the business of mold remediation, and uses pressurized dry ice. I did not see it in action, but crawled in after, and it was remarkable. A funky, stinky, gross crawlspace had been made, well, pretty nice. Don't know the cost, but it is certainly effective. Something may be required after as well, paint, sealer, something. Look into it. gl

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
#139: - Dirt and dust can adhere to masonry and they are food for mold. A mold spore does not need many pounds of food (fractions of an once really) to provide food for millions of spores.

A crawl space is the ideal spot for mold to grow.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
#137: Masonry does not support mold growth.
#138: Masonry does not provide a food source for mold spores.

http://www.masoncontractors.org/aboutmasonry/masonryfacts/index.php
tell that to the ppl who bought my mom and dad's house after the last owners.after mom sold the house,the new owner allowed it to get kinda run down.awwww hell alot of run down.the basement was covered in mold.growing up the block walls and up to the top(ceiling)of the stairwell.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
same thing happened to me once.

just shovel absorbent pellets of soak-up from the local Autozone into the problem area. Wait for it to soak up a few hours, then retrieve all of it from the crawl space and throw it out. good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I have the water stopped. I moved everything I had stored under that side of the house today because it was suppose to rain but alas, it never did. I was just worried about the mildew smell. I don't see any mold on the blocks but there isn't a lot of dust on the blocks. I will try the stuff lukachiki said. Do you have to buy that special or does the local home improvements sell it.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I have the water stopped. I moved everything I had stored under that side of the house today because it was suppose to rain but alas, it never did. I was just worried about the mildew smell. I don't see any mold on the blocks but there isn't a lot of dust on the blocks. I will try the stuff lukachiki said. Do you have to buy that special or does the local home improvements sell it.
I've always just purchased it over the internets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts