Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I install a lot of egress windows, and brace foundations, but have never done a replacement. I have a customer who has a brick wall that collapsed inward. According to the customer (I have not seen it yet) the house is still level and they got enough jacks in place to keep it that way. There is no footing. They don't have a lot of money. What is your recommendation?

I'm thinking replacing the wall with block. Since there is no footing, other than gravel I assume, do I have to pour a footing for this one wall?

I am competent and confident to address the drainage problem that caused this, so that is not a problem.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree they are good. But can it be done without? Cost is a big factor. Plus my fear is with only one wall having a footing, this will encourage non-uniform settling of the rest of the home.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
In my area we have code 11 which is basically the renovation code. It means that for any building over 5 years? 10 years? you only have to make as good or better what you found. Not sure of your area. I agree on footings on only 1 wall being not a great idea because of differential settlement. Compacted gravel isn't a terrible footing

Sometimes cost is a major issue and you have to do what you have to do, but, since it is structural work you will also need a permit, so your municipality will have a lot to say about how you go about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The house is in a small town that I have not yet worked in, so we will have to see how much they will have to say.

Thank you for the advise.

Any words of wisdom regarding the use of a block wall, while the other 3 are still brick?

If I am able use gravel, after excavating the bad soil, how deep and wide once compacted does the gravel footing need to be?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
it all depends on the size of the wall and the # of stories it's supporting. For concrete the footing needs to be (at least)as thick as the width of the wall and (at least) 2x the width. Not exactly sure about compacted gravel. Ask the township

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the insurance company listed water as the cause, which means no help.

Regarding your job...wow! That is much more involved than this one.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
People who have little money need their house repaired as well. Sometimes it involves not going all the way, just going far enough. Sad but true.

Also he said they have no money...not that they're cheap. Huge difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy profit, but part of what I love doing is being able to help a broken hearted homeowner take back their basement.

That being said, I have had that "cheap" customer I wish I would have never taken on.

These kind folks are not that type.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
:thumbsup:

Especially when you're dealing with structural/foundation issues. :eek:

Delta
Amen to that. And on top of everything you're considering raplacing a wall without a footing??? :blink:

I had my whole house jacked up, old block basement walls removed, deeper basement dug, new walls, floor, and drainage, house set back down for 27k.

Tell the home owner that if you don't have a foundation you don't have a house that is worth anything no matter what is above the dirt. Think of it as an investment.

And if they don't want to fix it right don't take the job.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I've rebuilt several old stone foundations for folks that didn't have a lot of money. They have all been very appreciative. While I usually barely even made wages on those jobs I knew I was doing it for someone who had no other recourse except maybe someone who would just put a bandaid on it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In a world that teaches our kids the most important thing in the world is their own happiness, I am always encouraged to see contractors out there to serve!

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Amen to that. And on top of everything you're considering raplacing a wall without a footing??? :blink:

I had my whole house jacked up, old block basement walls removed, deeper basement dug, new walls, floor, and drainage, house set back down for 27k.

Tell the home owner that if you don't have a foundation you don't have a house that is worth anything no matter what is above the dirt. Think of it as an investment.

And if they don't want to fix it right don't take the job.
Some people don't have 27K and no bank will give it to them, what they have is their home, maybe it isn't even worth $27k. What is right? Pressure treated foundation don't always have concrete footings? They often just have compacted gravel footings.

It's fine and dandy to only do the very best all the time and refuse to do anything less, but some people just don't have the funds. So long as it's repaired to a rasonable standard Egress should be able to sleep well at night, and so should the homeowners

·
Contractor
7,406 Posts
Some people don't have 27K and no bank will give it to them, what they have is their home, maybe it isn't even worth $27k. What is right? Pressure treated foundation don't always have concrete footings? They often just have compacted gravel footings.

It's fine and dandy to only do the very best all the time and refuse to do anything less, but some people just don't have the funds. So long as it's repaired to a rasonable standard Egress should be able to sleep well at night, and so should the homeowners
Very true! :thumbsup:

SGT Egress, you'll have to figure out the best course of action on this one.
There are tens of thousands of homes that do not have a proper footing, but have held up well for over a Century.

My honest opinion would be to replicate what is there as best as possible. Waterproof and provide proper drainage. You should be "good to go."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts