Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Watch the movie, " The Red Pill", then ask the shelter people how many homes they have for abused men?

Report back please.;)

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
This house is in Detroit Mi. I work for a community outreach on the west side. We havent purchased it yet. We are looking to turn it into a domestic violence shelter. Right now we are just trying to estimate repair costs. A lot of what we can or cant do depends on how much money we can raise or what grants we can get. We are getting house regardless.
We have had two different contractors look at it and give two completely different plans for repairing it. Thats the reason for this post to see what other folks have to say

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Ah, good (I actually suspected it was ). Detroit is built on the silted clays of the confluence of the Detroit, Rouge, St Clair and Huron Rivers.

So you get a lot of hydraulic action.

The backfill when that place was built was what was dug out - no stone or sand. No exterior weep tile. So it heaved.

And it's been doing it a long time.

Reactions: Jbo313

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,482 Posts
This house is in Detroit Mi. I work for a community outreach on the west side. We havent purchased it yet. We are looking to turn it into a domestic violence shelter. Right now we are just trying to estimate repair costs. A lot of what we can or cant do depends on how much money we can raise or what grants we can get. We are getting house regardless.
We have had two different contractors look at it and give two completely different plans for repairing it. Thats the reason for this post to see what other folks have to say

So you aren't a contractor yet you signed up on a site for professional contractors where it clearly states that in the sign up and are giving attitude about getting attitude

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So you aren't a contractor yet you signed up on a site for professional contractors where it clearly states that in the sign up and are giving attitude about getting attitude
My job is remodeling and repairing houses. Thats what i do for a living.
I dont have much experience rebuilding foundations. Thats why we have bids from other contractors. We have also subbed out the plumbing and electrical.
I apologize for the attitude.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
8" concrete blocks make a chitty foundation wall in my opinion even with reinforcing and the cores filled...too many joints and hydrostatic pressure almost guarantee a failure at some point unless like Small town pointed out you provide for drainage to get the water away....wet earth is heavy and fluid and moves chit....ask anyone in California

21 - 28 of 28 Posts