Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you foundation experts out there. How long can a foundation sit after it's completed before it needs to be framed. Is there some kind of time limit or can the foundation stay freestanding for any amount of time . Thanks for your response in advance

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Pretty sure it can sit forever, but you might end up with a swimming pool.

I do think you have to wait something like 2 weeks before back filling though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So as long as it's free standing with no back fill it's no problem to sit 4 months . Does weather effect it at all . Thanks

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Drainage would be the key, and the subsoil type. If you have a fatty clay soil it will expand when wet/ shrink when dry, you want to be sure to have good drainage so that you don't have standing water on either side of your footings.

If you got a foundation you need to build on it!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I was looking to try paying for some of the construction costs and there would be a few months downtime between foundation and framing . Thanks again

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
N. Virginia, winter is quickly approaching, I'd get the deck on it. Straw works, personally I wouldn't rely on it for a long period, get some small construction heater in there to stop the chill. This isn't the time of year to be messing around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Chris , I was planning on starting in the spring. I was planning on letting it sit about 4 months . But I liked the idea someone said about getting the decking done as well.but you are right about the area here. Thanks Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
The deck and the heater are definitely a plus.The straw works well, but you can't skimp on it. The cleanup later is a pain though.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
If the frost is out and not coming back in the spring, you can let that bad boy sit till next winter, personally I wouldn't but it will be fine, I like to get them back filled as soon as possible for safety

1 - 20 of 21 Posts