Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a small section of that, about 2' x 4'. Hard Maple is a good choice for butcher blocks and counter tops anyways, but I wouldn't want the maintenance of that one...

·
Punching above his weight
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't like the way it works with the sink, but I'm really into the bowling alley countertop idea.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I knew a guy who got a bunch of old bowling alley and just cut it into ten foot sections and stacked it out back of his house, completely uncovered. I tried to buy a section of it to do something like this, but he wouldn't sell it at any price. It was still there the last time I was in the neighborhood, and I'm sure it probably still is, and is completely ruined by now.

·
Punching above his weight
10,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People are so weird.

Those were probably going to be the hallways of the fantasy house he was building in his mind.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hoarders. They'll take something useful like that and just keep it somewhere 'til it turns into junk.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
Bowling alleys and old gym floors are both good sources of salvage hardwood flooring. I think they tear down schools more often than bowling alleys.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Have any of actually tried cutting a section of bowling alley before? They're put together with nails like steel cuts and there's a lot of them.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I had a whole lane, was planning on doing something like that, but never got around to it. Then I moved them outside, then they got nasty, then I tried to cut them, and holy sh!t can they eat some saw blades

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Bowling alleys and old gym floors are both good sources of salvage hardwood flooring. I think they tear down schools more often than bowling alleys.
They replace the lanes every so often, like 10 years or so, newer ones are going plastic, and they need replacing more often.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
They replace the lanes every so often, like 10 years or so, newer ones are going plastic, and they need replacing more often.
Cool - I only hear about it when it's a demo. Maybe the plastic will be easier to cut up, but I'd have to work with a chunk to see what to do with it. Hopefully less nails than wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts