Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one on me.

Is this a new way of installing ceramic tile floors in a bathroom. I went to look a a floor in a 5 year old town house in Hew Hampshire that had a major mold problem. Shower leaking. The tiles were cracked and loose. under the tile was 1/2 sheetrock.

Is this a actual practice that i'm not aware of.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
This is one on me.

Is this a new way of installing ceramic tile floors in a bathroom. I went to look a a floor in a 5 year old town house in Hew Hampshire that had a major mold problem. Shower leaking. The tiles were cracked and loose. under the tile was 1/2 sheetrock.

Is this a actual practice that i'm not aware of.
Are you saying you found this under the shower or under the floor tiles?

What if the shower leaked and the installer used DensShield for the floor? While it's not like regular gypsum board, it does have a gypsum core.

or

That installer was one helluva HACK!!!! :evil:

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I have demo'd tile floors with the gypsum backer. The floor was in good shape they just wanted a updated look.
Nothing hackie about if it was actual backer and not sheetrock.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I have had two 4x8 sheets of DensShield leaning against the back of my house since January. They look the same as the first day I got them, no mold, no damage, nothing.

So, I know there is gypsum stuff that doesn't have issues with moisture. I have also left normal drywall I demo'd in my backyard for a couple weeks before I had the time to take it away and it was mush and growing mushrooms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sheetrock

could it be a hardibacker type material that you have not seen before and assume it is rock?

I'm not sure it looks like sheet rock it falls a part with water like sheet rock. It clearly has paper on each side. I just can't phathom a contractor using it on all the floors unless it is a new material of some sort. He will not answer my calls

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
could it be a hardibacker type material that you have not seen before and assume it is rock?
Are you saying you found this under the shower or under the floor tiles?

What if the shower leaked and the installer used DensShield for the floor? While it's not like regular gypsum board, it does have a gypsum core.

or

That installer was one helluva HACK!!!! :evil:

Hi It is everywhere there is a leak at the front door and the water has got under the tile and it's all mold there also. The same tile runs right through the house on the first floor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts