Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone out there have a formula for calculating the dimensions of voussiors for a semi circular arch. Thanks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
No, I do not have a formula. What I do is lay out a pattern full scale on a sheet of plywood. The picture and method is shown in Richard Kreh's book Advanced Masonry. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
I always do what fjn said and draw the arch full size on a board. You will need a beam compass,a long straight edge and a pair of spring loaded dividers.
When you have cut them all you can set them out on the board and check they all fit in.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I always do what fjn said and draw the arch full size on a board. You will need a beam compass,a long straight edge and a pair of spring loaded dividers.
When you have cut them all you can set them out on the board and check they all fit in.

A huge + of doing it the way Stuart & I mention is as follows. The saw man can start cutting the brick long before they are needed. If you wait until all masons hit the window or door heads you have everyone sending cuts to the saw man at once,he cannot keep up and production almost comes to a complete stop. That is very expensive,having a bunch of guys standing up waiting for cuts.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I lay it out on the ground as well, use string to mark the stones/bricks and make templates. For segmental, and semicirular arches you only need to make one template besides the keystone. Gothic as well i think but can't remember

If there is enough wall below you it is nice to put a string where the radius begins to check that your voussoirs are in the correct placement

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
A huge + of doing it the way Stuart & I mention is as follows. The saw man can start cutting the brick long before they are needed. If you wait until all masons hit the window or door heads you have everyone sending cuts to the saw man at once,he cannot keep up and production almost comes to a complete stop. That is very expensive,having a bunch of guys standing up waiting for cuts.
yeah, what he said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts