Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just a re-introduction. I have never liked my old user-name Bencouver so I have created a new profile as Ben Paul.

I am a carpenter and I work in Vancouver BC and surrounding areas. I have been working for a commercial form-working contractor for nine months but have just left the company to work on my own projects again while I look for something that pays well and is stable. I have ten years experience working in residential reno's and new construction.

I have on a couple of occasions gone out on my own. The first time was for six months but I was still quite young in the trade and when I saw a slow spell coming I took a job with a company. About 18 months later I gave it another shot after landing enough side jobs to turn into full time work. I took on an apprentice and tried to grow a business but without a proper understanding of the business side I found myself burnt out and not making any more money than I did as an employee. This is when I went to form-working.

Currently I am considering joining IATSE and working as a set carpenter for films and television and in between those projects I will do my own small contracting jobs or work as a sub. Starting Monday I have about three weeks of drywall work lined up and a long list of good contractors to call when things slow down so I am not too nervous about finding work.

I'm looking forward to continuing to contribute to the forum as I have been only now under a less silly name.

Ben.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Ben.... some people go through life and never take any risks that way, never give self employment a try. I find once you do it it's hard going back to being an employee. Even if you work your ass off for less money sometimes. Good luck with your ventures!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really? at least i have admitted it and i'm not trolling with both accounts. i'm assuming that would be the main reason to ban people for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts