Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine who I used to work with years ago gave up the tools and bought a Mr. Handyman franchise 2 years ago. I ran into him recently and expected to hear him cry poverty but was I in for a surprise.
He has 4 trucks on the road.He dispatches by Nextel from his den.He pays his guys 25% of the job. They report their own income.He does not give health benefits.
He supplies the truck and the gas. Each guy is bringing in $165,000/year
on average.They do not give estimates. He quotes an hourly rate to the customer over the phone of $90(ninety dollars). Surprisingly most say Ok. They do mostly small stuff but some even go for a kitchen and bathroom remodel by the hour.
He is grossing $600,000+ a year. 10% for the franchise. Gasoline.25% to the workers. After all is said and done his taxable gross for himself is averaging $225-275,000. His initial investment was 50-75,000. (trucks, fees,etc)
He says he does not know why he did not do it sooner. I was shocked that a handyman business can bring the owner that kind of money.
I am thinking of doing it myself.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Cleverly disguised spam by Mr. Handyman?

The beauty of franchies is that they are selling a system. You don't need to know anything about being a handyman but you need a good grasp on business. I think anyone who has a good graps on business can be a success with or without a franchise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not a spam

Grumpy said:
Cleverly disguised spam by Mr. Handyman?

The beauty of franchies is that they are selling a system. You don't need to know anything about being a handyman but you need a good grasp on business. I think anyone who has a good graps on business can be a success with or without a franchise.
No it is not a spam. At first I could not believe people would pay $90/hour.I called other handyman franchises,house doctors, House medic, etc. No one was less than $75/hour. Makes me reconsider how I am charging for my time.
I need to raise my rates.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I have considered switching to a franchise system, but what I'm doing keeps working for me. "Maybe I could do better?", I ask myself, but I'm in a comfort zone. I'm not rich, but I'm not poor; just happy.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
. He is grossing $600 said:
brag[/B] how much money they make. A couple of those guys still owe me money. I watch out for the ones who brag about how religious they are also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rob 53 said:
. He is grossing $600 said:
brag[/B] how much money they make. A couple of those guys still owe me money. I watch out for the ones who brag about how religious they are also.
I'm sometimes also suspicious of guys who constantly brag about how busy they are.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i work with an "andy-on-call" franchise from time to time....

he's bonded, insured, licensed and issues "coupons" in mailers and newspaper to generate calls....he also supplies a 1 year warranty

from there, he feilds leads and lets the "craftsman" bid the job. we then split the labor proceeds. i provide transportation and gas. and yes, the "coupons" get soaked up into the bid price. the customer buys all the materials.........

he works out of a modest office, keeps a few tools that most handymen won't or can't keep (pressure washer, big ladders, scaffold....)...i don't know how much he makes, but he seems happy enough....

overall, this has been a postive experience. he keeps me busy when i'm not working refferals.....

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Cubevan &Rob 53 said:
I'm sometimes also suspicious of guys who constantly brag about how busy they are.
I'm really confused. Why is it suspicious to be busy? I am always busy except when it is seasonably excuseable to be slow (winter). I have no choice but to stay busy, if I don't I go bankrupt!

·
Radical Basement Dweller
22,382 Posts
The handyman jobs are also keeping me busy. I can't explain it...no advertising, haven't handed a card out in 2 years, but I'm not complaining. My heart is in the woodshop and I get there often enough for furniture and cabinets, but it seems there is a lot of "fixin' things" going on also.
I have created a unique situation that I kinda like. I have 3 customers who have agreed to pay me a set and reduced hourly rate if they promise to keep me busy 2 days a month, 8 hours a day. This can be anything from trimming the shrubs to installing security lights to pressure washing the house. I've been doing this for 3 years now with the same folks and it more than pays the truck payments and insurance. They are required to let me know in list form what they want done so I can load the trailer accordingly. They pay for all the supplies and the ride down; the ride home is on me. If they have a job that requires something fifferent, like making a coffee table, that's not included and the regular rate takes over.
Sure beats putting on that suit and tie everyday!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I worked for a Mr. Handyman in dallas.Money was good if the people in office scheduled correctly.My pay was based on hours billed. Problems arose when they would schedule me 4 hours for a 2 hour job...a eight hour day became 4 hours billed. Also the people in office bought the franchise with little to no knowledge of general home repairs,and would waste my time calling me to ask 'how long to do this or that'and then question my answers.
was not worth the headaches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I happen to be reading you all and was impressed with some of inovations and thoughts on " (handyman, self owned or francised)". I do handyman work in Pa., and to be honest, It's been a slim 3 months, since the holidays. If some of you don't mind sharing, I could use some input on getting new business. I like the coupon idea, does it really work??? Thanks Mike

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I owned a refacing franchise, wasn't worth it. But yes franchising works. If you know what your doing why buy a franchise, take the franchise money, brand yourself and market. The 7 to 10% franchise royalty fee will go a long way to promoting yourself and marketing. With a franchise you are not the boss. Your paying someone to give you a job. YOUR BUYING A JOB! Franchises fail at close to the same rate as other businesses. Go to Amazon.com and buy a book or two on franchises. Most franchise owners don't make much money in relations to what they put into it. And yes there are successful franchises but like all other businesses 20% of the people make 80% of the money/

·
Allrounder Home Services
465 Posts
I have created a unique situation that I kinda like. I have 3 customers who have agreed to pay me a set and reduced hourly rate if they promise to keep me busy 2 days a month, 8 hours a day.
sounds like pure genius to me, Robie. Any suggestions on how to successfully implement a set up like this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
people that brag about how much money they make or how big their home is i often wonder// how/ all that will fit in there casket ? thoughs that brag are normaly broke I am poor in money but rich in friends Itried to hire qualified handy man and found very few that realy that qualfied to know what I expect from a handy man maybe i expect to much out of them IT TOOK me alot of hard years to Quilfiy as agood handy man and I still ask alot of questions i have been in costuctions for years and i was ask to work for afranchise and they said we will give you a truck and 450 a week I WAS VERY POLITE kiss my /////////////////// and go to //////// and never even look or talk to me ass ////////////////// Y

·
Registered
3 Posts
What has been working for me,

I have contacted several handyman/home repair/remodeling companies.
I get a lot of work that they pass to me or just need a extra hand when their schedule gets overloaded.
I stay as busy as I want and many jobs are just handed off to me.
seems to work here in Dallas.

·
Home Improvement Contract
26 Posts
franchise vs doing yourself.
I use to believe that franchise was just buying a job till I read Micheal Gerbers, E-Myth Revisited and I realized that here I was again trying to reinvent the wheel. I now think that some one that buys a franchise to have a place to go to work is a fool. A good turn key franchise is a business investment for a business owner. The folks that work for the franchise are called employees. The franchise owner works the business not for it, or he/she is a fool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts