Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this in a 1917 "Sweet's Architectural Catalog."

I'm familiar with wall beds (Murphy Beds) but I had never heard of a "Ceiling Bed." It cranks down from the ceiling with a "removable hand crank."

I find it absolutely enchanting. The company was based in Minnesota, so I'm guessing if these odd beds are anywhere, they might be up there.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

BTW, literature said that cables used had to be able to support 790 pounds of weight, and (my favorite part), this could only be in a space with an attic directly above. Can you imagine cranking this thing down for your mother-in-law and finding a big rat sitting on it?

LOL.

More here at my website: http://www.searshomes.org/index.php...put-the-bed-back-in-the-ceiling-this-morning/

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The first ceiling bed I ever ran across was in Jefferson's Monticello.

In his chamber,there is a passageway connecting both sides of his room. His bed is suspended in it and is lowered for use,raised to allow easy passage between either side of room.

Was really neat.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just an update. Upon googleing Monticello,there are conflicting ideas about the ability for the bed to be raised and lowered. However,having visited it 5 times,the last time,the tour guide did bring attention to that aspect.

Jefferson was very innovative,more than likely it was a very distinct possibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts