Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This experience goes back many years--and a career ago.

In an earlier life I was a caterer.:whistling

I made a self service delivery of trays of food for company open house.

I did not collect the bill at the time of the delivery because the Korean president was making a speech at the time.

No big deal,I had to go back for equipment the next day any way---

I loaded up my equipment and noticed they had a lot of leftovers".Oh,well,"
I thought,and went to the office to collect the bill.

This is when things went south.

The secretary sent me in to the Korean presidents office.

"You sent to much food" says mister Moon,"We will pay only for what we ate":shifty: A short try at logic made no difference ,so I left before I lost my cool.

One call to my brother in law gave me a solution that worked then-and in other similar situations.

"you will never win,when negotiating with a Korean. They are the worlds best negotiators" .Said Brother in law.
"You must attack his integrity"

Armed with this advice I grabbed the bill and drove to Moons new factory.

I was quickly ushered into Mr. Moons office.

"Good afternoon,Mr. Moon. I'm here about your bill,I think that we can work something out." He relaxed a bit and put his finger tips together,

" I can see that you have spent a great deal of money on your new factory." I said. He nodded. "I can understand that you might have trouble Paying this bill,Perhaps you didn't manage you money very well.I will work out payments for you until you can get your finances in better condition."

EVERY VEIN IN HIS HEAD BULGED TO EXPLOSION.

"I MANAGE MY MONEY VERY WELL!!!!!I AN A VERY WEALTHY MAN!!!!!!

I left without a word.The check arrived via special messenger about forty minutes after I arrived at my office.:w00t:

Took my Brother in law out for a fine dinner,
I just thought you all might enjoy a story---MIKE

·
Don't Eat Yellow Snow!
401 Posts
The only people i ever had problems with were asians and greeks who both seemed to agree a price before the job and shook hands, yet when it came to pay always wanted to re-negotiate the price when the job was finish!!
After that i always put 20% on there prices before hand if i think there will be trouble getting payment!!
Cheers
Dave

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
"You sent to much food" says mister Moon,"We will pay only for what we ate":shifty: A short try at logic made no difference ,so I left before I lost my cool.

"Good afternoon,Mr. Moon. I'm here about your bill,I think that we can work something out." He relaxed a bit and put his finger tips together,

" I can see that you have spent a great deal of money on your new factory." I said. He nodded. "I can understand that you might have trouble Paying this bill,Perhaps you didn't manage you money very well.I will work out payments for you until you can get your finances in better condition."

"I MANAGE MY MONEY VERY WELL!!!!!I AN A VERY WEALTHY MAN!!!!!!

Took my Brother in law out for a fine dinner,
I just thought you all might enjoy a story---MIKE

:clap::clap:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I've used a similar tactic with tight-a$$ customers.

Did a house paint last month.

Original contract was for front only, then grew to the sides, then, more and ...more.

Get him a flat price. Almost done with job, and he starts telling me that he's counting the hours my workers took to paint. Tries to play money games (mumbling that he's on a fixed income....) I tell him that I am sorry that he's short on money, I understand.

"....We can put you on a payment program like we do for the other poor HO's...."

Ha, ha - He paid his bill....

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's a fact. That in many countries, it's all about negotiations, even after the contract is done.

It's aggravating (even insulting) for us, but it's normal in some cultures...and they don't understand that it's not the same in the US.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's a fact. That in many countries, it's all about negotiations, even after the contract is done.

It's aggravating (even insulting) for us, but it's normal in some cultures...and they don't understand that it's not the same in the US.
Yeah I'm about over that shi.... people that want to come here and make no effort to conform to the way things operate in THIS country can bite me, and eat my invoices...:thumbsup:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

But it is the same if they're coming here and bringing their traditions with them and we are left to deal with it. And I agree, it is very insulting. I'm gonna negotiate my bill at the grocery store next time I go. :furious:

110 Posts
Many years ago when I was a real estate agent (aged 22 when this happened) a Korean condo owner called the office to list hist condo...which was on a block full of similar condos in a neighborhood full of similar condos. Hard to get rid of.

The darn thing was worth 35,000 or so at 5% commision prob split 4 ways if another office sold it. Needless to say it was both a tough sell and small potatoes so it was decided it would be pawned off on me ...the new guy.

I go there, measure, negitiate and list. Tell the Korean homeowner I`m going to the office 4 blocks away for a sign. He follows me and grabs a sign, see where this is going? He sticks the sign in the dirt as a car with buyers rounds the corner :eek:.

They gave him their number, he gave it to me and to make a long story short they signed a contract :w00t:.

Then he comes to the office, sits in front of me and does the steeped finger job.

Him: Pifty Pifty.
Me: What?
Him: I got buyers so we split money pifty pifty.
Me: What is pifty pifty
Him: You know half half
Me::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no:

It took the old appeal to his integrity to settle things.

Whenever I get a guy who wants to renegotiate I remember this guy.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Just because you think it is your country, you are not the King unless you get a firm contract. It is still his money until you earn it.

It is very common around the world and if you have the paper and support, you will get paid in full very quickly and get a very good recommendation to all of the customers friends. - It is just like haggling at flea market or garage sale.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
But it is the same if they're coming here and bringing their traditions with them and we are left to deal with it. And I agree, it is very insulting. I'm gonna negotiate my bill at the grocery store next time I go. :furious:

That is not the correct analogy, a better one would be to renegotiate your bill at a restaurant after you ate the meal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I refused to do business with Indians and Asians. Asians weren't real bad but I could have everything spelled out in great detail in the contracts and everytime i dealt with one they would try to get me to do more or get me to drop my prices. It was always a hassle with them.
They believe if they speak something it is true, regardless what is said in writing. So, if they decide they want the back of the house painted even though it's never been mentioned and isn't in the contract, if he tells me I'm supposed to paint the house, it is my obligations because they can't lie.
I did a new apt building for an investment company owned by Indians. I ended up doing over 2000.00 in extra work not specified in the contract.
Funny thing is they moved into one appartment before the inspector released it and got fined big time. I ratted on them.
That was my last job for Indians (not native Americans) If they called, I was too busy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That is not the correct analogy, a better one would be to renegotiate your bill at a restaurant after you ate the meal.
And how about the ones that what you to itemize everything... I mean everything. How many gallons of paint you used, how many screws/nails, 2x4's etc..... Yeah sure. Just like your restaurant analogy. "I would like an itemized receipt please, how many oz of salt went into that meal, sage, butter, etc etc..." People are f'n nuts:no:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
And how about the ones that what you to itemize everything... I mean everything. How many gallons of paint you used, how many screws/nails, 2x4's etc..... Yeah sure. Just like your restaurant analogy. "I would like an itemized receipt please, how many oz of salt went into that meal, sage, butter, etc etc..." People are f'n nuts:no:
If the job is a T&M then you list everything, if it is a lump sum bid, you list the scope of work and the price, and the draw schedule.

It is always a bad idea to allow the client to negotiate on a job that you have already done or started.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well, back in the day, when we were in a war, we would have the translators insult the enemy's manhood for hiding and attacking from concealed positions. Then the enemy would show themselves and meet Allah.:whistling

Anyho, question the men's manhood or virility or being able to care for his family, is the way I do business when it comes time to negoiate a price. Works every time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts