Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Semi-Pro
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going with Ford for the new vans since GM is now a federal entity (goodbye capitalism, we'll miss you!). Has anybody tried the new onboard computer that tracks tools and other vans and prints invoices and all that fancy stuff? I just wonder if it's worth it.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I bet it is 10 times more expensive then buying a computer, printer etc. Probably doesn't even work as well, etc. I don't think it would be worth the price they want. Its a good idea, but i bet its costly.

·
Semi-Pro
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a sirius unit, a garmin with bluetooth (that doesn't work well), a laptop, and a printer. the laptop has an aircard that doesn't work all the time. the only thing i use the laptop for is estimates and invoices.

This would consolidate everything I've got into an in-dash unit. Plus, I've been the vicitim of a smash-n-grab and lost everything above once before and had to replace it. This would be harder to steal.

I just can't find anyone around here that has it, or even a dealership that has a demo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m not sure I understand what I’m seeing. Are the power tools stored underneath the rear seat? That looks very inconvenient and like it was conceived and designed by someone who has never set foot on a jobsite or even picked up a tool for that matter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And that’s precisely why the domestics are in so much trouble. They’re too concerned about giving people false-senses-of-erections and not delivering practical products. The most practical and reasonably priced thing on that truck is the cable lock.

I don’t like how they claim the rfid system increases security, that’s a total joke. It’s for asset management and that’s it. The system won’t scan tags that are further than 10 feet away. Great! If the thief is standing within 10 feet of your truck, you’ll be able to get your tools back.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Ford is doing a lot of cool stuff for work trucks. On board computer, spray in bed liner, Tool Link, cable lock, tailgate step, rubber floor on the XLT trim. I speced out a F-450 XLT pick up truck with all the bells and whistles and came in at $60K. Someday...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I can't pick up the computer and take it with me.. So not overly useful. I'd be better off with a laptop and a truck strap.

I do like the cable lock, won't do me much good with a van.. but it's still the most practical idea in that lot.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I tried that on-board computer... it's a nice toy but not too practical. You are better off with these new "netbooks" for under $400 out the door. Get one with a solid state hard drive...instant on almost, battery life is long 6+ hrs, you'll be happy. I got one recently, love it. Got mine at Costco... $349 with a 90day money back.guarentee....

·
Registered
838 Posts
And that’s precisely why the domestics are in so much trouble. They’re too concerned about giving people false-senses-of-erections and not delivering practical products. The most practical and reasonably priced thing on that truck is the cable lock.
If you have never noticed the Foriegn Companies copy everything we do-and sell it back to us-with all the support they need-because Americans love their country but turn there backs on our Great Products!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts