Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting.... :jester:

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. says it will soon offer wireless mobile offices in its F-series pickups, an option aimed at building contractors and others who do business on the road.

A Ford F-250 Super Duty truck equipped with a mobile office is scheduled to debut Tuesday at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas. The annual show isn't open to the public, but it dazzles an estimated 100,000 automotive insiders with souped-up vehicles and the latest aftermarket trends and components.
MORE:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/office_in_a_truck;_ylt=AlvEewiVVSxNxolmC3Tjve0jtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've had mine for awhile but I am willing to bet this system will "look" much more professional than mine. If it does cost $3k that's only a slight bit more than my setup cost me minus the installation time. There system seems like it will be nicer though with voice activation.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I heard about that truck on the radio this morning. I predict that it will be a sure hit. For 3K, that option sounds like a steal. If it goes well in the trucks, it would be nice to see it in the E series vans too. There's just as many guys in vans that could use the same setup. I am biased towards Fords, but if it goes over well, I suspect that the others will follow suit. It's an idea who's time has certainly come.

·
Registered
197 Posts
AAPaint said:
Wow, didn't know anyone drooled over a dodge! It's gonna take a smart fella to buy a truck like that and pay their markup on all the goodies, I prommise! Guess it wouldn't be a bad truck if you took the gas cap off, drove a chevy under it, and put the gas cap back on....
Eh, he drives a Silverado now, we also own two Chevy Vans, a Tahoe, and (my favorite) a Mustang GT Convertible!!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Grumpy said:
I've had mine for awhile but I am willing to bet this system will "look" much more professional than mine. If it does cost $3k that's only a slight bit more than my setup cost me minus the installation time. There system seems like it will be nicer though with voice activation.
any pics?

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
hauoli63 said:
Gee, I wonder if Ford's version will be impervious to nasty, dirty hands .... glue, primer, etc!!:cheesygri

I doubt it. My steering wheel is worn from all the crap I got on my hands, black chalk being the worse for the interior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 grand definitely sounds like too much. I bought my laptop on Black Friday last year for like 375 (toshiba from bestbuy). Figure in the cost of a printer and power inverter and you could have your mobile office for less than 600. I'd buy everything CHEAP. I have quite a bit of crumbs, etc. caked up in my laptop keyboard at home. Imagine it in my van??

John

Briggs Restorations

·
King of Caulk
191 Posts
I built a little desk that goes over the seat with a compartment for the laptop. and with the printer below it, between the top and the seat. then there is a flap of oak plywood that covers up the laptop and keeps it out of view of prying eyes.
1 El Cheapo HP printer $35
1 laptop $10 used +$100 memory upgrade
1 inverter from Costco $30

but the best part is -
it's in a Toyota so it will stay mobile

1 - 15 of 15 Posts