Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a nightmare getting ford dealerships to fix issues? I've been in and out of this dealership numerous times, and each time, they tell me they can't figure out what is wrong with my truck, and won't fix anything. On top of this, now they're trying to weasel out of the warranty.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Try another dealership. When I bought my truck I went to a dealership I would never go back to for service because they had the low price. I haven't had to get any work done on it yet but I've already figured out that the dealers in my area are hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm not coming back to this place again. If be out of business real quick if I treated customers like this. I just looked at their yelp reviews, everyone seems to say the same thing.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
It's not just ford service . Had it with Chevy . I believe it has to do with there employees on hand . Local dealers are hit or miss . It's one on the reasons I left chevy and went with ford on my latest truck . Chevy dealer here is the worst and it was all warranty work .

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Does it have to be a Ford dealer? When I bought my 2009 F150 this year I paid a little extra for a warranty that let's me get fixed up at any automotive dealership. According to the finance manager I could bring my truck to a Jaguar dealership if they'd agree to do the work.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a factory certified pre owned to save myself some headache(ha! Yeah right!) the dealership said I could take it to any ford dealer in North America. So it has to be a ford dealership.

These dinguses are trying to say I have to take it to the dealer I bought it from.

Now I'm sitting in the waiting room fuming mad while they keep trying to bring my truck back to me without fixing anything.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sounds like you have time to leave a Yelp review before you get your keys and take it elsewhere. The service center for the Ford dealer I bought from has a two star average. The one more convenient to me is a five star outfit. I was honest when I bought the truck, I said that I knew I could never bring my truck there for service and the finance manager was not surprised. I went so far as to call another dealer and confirm that they'd take me on warranty things when they come up.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna press them to get it figured out while I'm here, leave bad review, then take it somewhere else next month to get it looked over before my warranty is up.

I wish the dealer I bought from was closer. I bought out of state because I found a nice deal online.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
My truck was in for service a free weeks back. They gave truck back to me with 5 problems. Wouldn't accelerate on right hand turns, would die when overtaking, made weird noises, would not change down gear and weird gear changes. They swore blind it was not anything they caused. They already got me for a power steering hose for $400 that didn't need changing. Truck was in the shop on and of for a month. They tried telling me I need trans update (didn't fix it), plugs (didn't fix it), spline grease (didn't fix it) then they wanted to change the LSD! I was at the end of my tether with them. Took it as high as I could take it through the dealership. I knew 100% what the issue was and my brother diagnosed it from 6k miles away yet they could fix it. They ended up swapping out loads of the staff whilst this was going on. A guy I knew started working there again. He left because it was a cluster ****. He had my truck back and fixed in 2 days. The whole time this problem was caused because the first tech who worked on it dropped the trans filter and cracked it.

Talk about a bunch of idiots. What's crazy is I had to explained how traction control and limited slip diiffs function 2 their top 3 master techs. they didn't even know what type of spark plugs my truck used. This is a massive dealership too.

Won't be going back to that place again in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna try another dealership next week. While sitting here I'm pretty sure I diagnosed the problem via some of the f150 forums. I think it's the differential clutch plates. They have no interest in diagnosing it here...

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Crunchy squeaky sound coming from rear end. Mostly when turning left.
There's a few ways to test it.

1. See if both wheels spin on grass when give throttle
2. Lift one side of the truck and turn wheel by hand. there should be a little Resistance then the clutches should break free and let wheel spin. do this on other side too and see if it does same thing.
3. whilst doing the above see at what FT-lbs the clutches break away at. Mine was about 45ft-lbs per side.

I have also heard you can test them buy doing tight turns in reverse but no idea how that works.

·
President
1,349 Posts
I had issues when my pick up was new...

they swore that my problem was all in my head (3 diff dealers) because the problem wouldnt throw a code, and their even recorder didnt record anything out of the ordinary.

Finally mentioned the word 'Lawyer' and the service manager agreed to drive it to and from work...

so on his way into the dealership the next morning, in a snow storm, drinking his coffee, the truck acted up (torque converter would lock up for about a second, then release, relock, release do that about 2x a minute...) needless to say, he got coffee everywhere lol

all in my head huh?

was a solenoid on the transmission. would only act up when it was wet outside, around 45mph.. it would short to the bell housing

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's a few ways to test it.

1. See if both wheels spin on grass when give throttle
2. Lift one side of the truck and turn wheel by hand. there should be a little Resistance then the clutches should break free and let wheel spin. do this on other side too and see if it does same thing.
3. whilst doing the above see at what FT-lbs the clutches break away at. Mine was about 45ft-lbs per side.

I have also heard you can test them buy doing tight turns in reverse but no idea how that works.
It's an auto, so put it in gear, then try to spin a wheel?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
It's an auto, so put it in gear, then try to spin a wheel?
Yep put it in gear as in from neutral to drive. Its then in gear. you wont move unless you throttle but its in gear once you go into drive.

and when i say spin a wheel on grass i mean wheel spin. both wheels should spin if diff is functioning ok. if a clutch pack is bad then one side will spin whilst the other sits there doing nothing like a open diff will.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Gotcha, it should be in gear when trying to turn it by hand too?
Not 100% sure. if i remember it didn't matter as your just trying to defeat the clutch plates by hand. wheel will feel like its locked in place then as you turn harder it will just give.

There's a few sites online that explain it if you type in testing limited slip differential.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I had a Dodge with bad clutch pak in the rear.

If you turned the wheel completely locked in one direction, then just barely crawl along you could see the inner wheel on the turn shake as the truck was moving forward, along with the racket that it was making.

Also, I don't know about Ford, but Dodge back then had a friction additive that needed to added to rear diff. to keep it functioning properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts