Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys happen to have a 2004-07 Ford F 450 with the 6.0 Diesel?

I have one I found that has 22,000 miles and looks like new........but that engine I have heard is a pos.

Just wondering your opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's a reason that u can only find used 6.0 diesels and no 6.4 or 7.3. I have been looking for something other than the 6.0 for 8 months. Either run away from the 6.0 or know and be prepared that u will dump money into the engine in the near future.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
RandyB1986 said:

I have one I found that has 22,000 miles and looks like new........but that engine I have heard is a pos.

Thanks
Go to powerstroke.org and read a thread in the 6.0 section on what to look for when buying one. I have one that I've put 20,000 on in last year and have had to do some of the typical 6.0 issue maintaince to it. It's a great motor and truck if you know what issues to look for and maintain it strictly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2006. Got it 90,000km and am about to turn 300,000 km. the 6.0L is high maintenance but the truck is very durable.

Keeping the oil and fuel filters clean is crucial. I like the powerband of the truck, it is a workhorse.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
From what I know, the 6.0 is OK only in the last two years. Don't know where the cutoff is in the second to the last year though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the the 6.0 You can budget around 10 cents a mile for repair. If possible get an egr delete kit and replace the head bolts with studs right away. You still have to contend with the shoddy injectors though:mad:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the the 6.0 You can budget around 10 cents a mile for repair. If possible get an egr delete kit and replace the head bolts with studs right away. You still have to contend with the shoddy injectors though:mad:
Use cheap oil/push the oil change intervals/neglect filters and you get "shoddy" injectors for the 6.0. IMO

If you're going to buy a 6.0 truck go to powerstroke.org and read.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do your research. The 6.0 can be a great motor. They need a couple repairs to fix what problems they do have. Egr delete should be the top of the list. Running a high quality synthetic oil is a must. Rotella T6 and I change at 10k km intervals. Nearly 300k on all 8 orgional injectors and HPOP. I have done headgaskets I will add. I do run a tuner always. 16-almost 20mpg unloaded. 6k enclosed trailer nets me 15mpg.
They are good trucks but have their problems, same as every other truck.

·
Holy Crap!
512 Posts
I've had mine for 6 years. I maintain it. I would buy another one with out hesitation as long as it has less than 150k on it and service records.

Once you understand the motor, you wont be scared.

If I could recommend one thing above all, install a coolant filtration system. They are about $150. The coolant is the blood of this motor. The cleaner it is, the longer it will live. I tow a 7X14 loaded enclosed trailer and change the oil and fuel filters every 5k. I use Cetane every other fill up to keep the injectors lubricated.

Do not put a heavy tune on it. Keep the factory settings.

I have an 04 F250. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
The 6.0 is as good as you treat it I guess. One question though. Why buy an F450 pickup? It is kind of stupid. It is only a glorified F350, and even then it barely is more truck than the F350. Get a real F450 chassis cab and put a pickup bed on it. Now you are talking.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The 6.0 is as good as you treat it I guess. One question though. Why buy an F450 pickup? It is kind of stupid. It is only a glorified F350, and even then it barely is more truck than the F350. Get a real F450 chassis cab and put a pickup bed on it. Now you are talking.
Well in 2005 the only F450 you could get was a F450 commercial cab/chassis and dealer installed the pickup bed. I dont think Ford made F450 pickup until 2008. The difference I believe is heavier frame on 450 and greater towing capacity.

The reason I was looking at it is because it is available...2005 with 20,000 miles on it....I personally don't care what it is....as long as it is F-250 or bigger.

I am passing on this truck though, 6.0 just sounds too high of upkeep for me. Here it is https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=979&aid=70347&lid=17481559&title=2005-Ford-F450-Lariat-Crew-Cab-SuperDuty-4x4 if anyone is interested...it is selling in the morning, $30,000 KBB. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well in 2005 the only F450 you could get was a F450 commercial cab/chassis and dealer installed the pickup bed. I dont think Ford made F450 pickup until 2008. The difference I believe is heavier frame on 450 and greater towing capacity.

The reason I was looking at it is because it is available...2005 with 20,000 miles on it....I personally don't care what it is....as long as it is F-250 or bigger.

I am passing on this truck though, 6.0 just sounds too high of upkeep for me. Here it is https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=979&aid=70347&lid=17481559&title=2005-Ford-F450-Lariat-Crew-Cab-SuperDuty-4x4 if anyone is interested...it is selling in the morning, $30,000 KBB. Thanks for the input guys.
The 450's also run 19.5 truck tires, among other upgrades. They are much heavier duty

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

Thanks
I have probably 50,000 miles plowing snow total in the seats of 3 different 05/06 6.0's. To put it simply, I would never buy one that was out of warranty. Ever.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
joe dirt said:
I was replacing injectors every year, $$$$ pit
BUT , You GOTTA luv that sound of the turbo spinnin up
I bet you didn't have a set of gauges on it to tell you your ficm was probably crapping itself. I bought a $150 scangauge 2 from autozone before I even bought the truck. Used it on the test drive and still have it hooked up all the time. As long as you monitor the vitals and know what to look for its an awesome motor. You could buy a duramax or cummins and replace the 5-6k transmission or buy a cheap powerstroke and put less than that into motor and have a race/work truck. Mine will eat mustangs and weighs almost 8,000 pd.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I had a 6.0, and I couldn't wait to trade my duramax for it, for sure could not wait to dump it on some other unsuspecting fool. No power, torque, fuel mileage was bad, and maybe besides the lack of pulling power, the small fuel tank really burned me. I was used to 50 gallons on my Chevy.

Any of you guys reading this, I have a friend, who is blind, that has a 2001 Ford 250, 2WD, 7.3, super cab, about 72k original miles, new tires, and he would take $8000 for it. I would not mind it, but......it is 12 years old, and it is black. I don't like black trucks.

This army vet bought this truck new just for his brother to drive him around, and he since bought a new car, the truck is for sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.