Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I've had plenty of drywall carriers over the years, worked great for 4x12's

Basically metal tubing welded t-handle,shaft and flat hook on bottom. about 24'' long.

Will try to post pic later.

·
Registered
Remodel
32,291 Posts
I work alone most of the time, and have used all of the following

Use my upper arm to clamp it between my arm and side
Drywall panel carries
Put a clamp on the top edge and use it as a carry handle
Pick up one end, set it on a small dolly and roll it

·
Registered
506 Posts
I also have the gorilla grip and like it a lot. It puts all the weight on your bicep and shoulder. You just hold your hand next to your shoulder, bend your knees and lift straight up. No more bending over to get underneath the sheet. Its crazy how much easier it is to carry. I can move 3/4 sheets of mdf and melamine up and down stairs easily.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have the gorilla grip and like it a lot. It puts all the weight on your bicep and shoulder. You just hold your hand next to your shoulder, bend your knees and lift straight up. No more bending over to get underneath the sheet. Its crazy how much easier it is to carry. I can move 3/4 sheets of mdf and melamine up and down stairs easily.
It actually grips Melamine. That is my biggest problem, I just can not put a hold on it anymore.

·
Registered
506 Posts
tonylumps said:
It actually grips Melamine. That is my biggest problem, I just can not put a hold on it anymore.
It works fine for melamine. The inside of the jaws are coated with something very similar to truck bed liner. There's no chance of it slipping out. The way the jaws work the heavier the piece is the more they clamp down, so I think it would hold even if they were smooth.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like the idea of that Gorilla Gripper, but I don't think it will work for more than one sheet. Even a single sheet of 3/4" ply is manageable, and most things we carry are lighter than that, so unless it somehow allows you to sling around three sheets of 5/8" drywall it doesn't seem worth the $50.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
steex said:
I like the idea of that Gorilla Gripper, but I don't think it will work for more than one sheet. Even a single sheet of 3/4" ply is manageable, and most things we carry are lighter than that, so unless it somehow allows you to sling around three sheets of 5/8" drywall it doesn't seem worth the $50.
Dude! Look at the title of this thread! Even the ultralight Sheetrock is over 50lbs per sheet, so 3 would be over 150 pounds. Don't think I'll be "slinging" that anymore! As for multiple sheets, two are about all I can do. The third, middle sheet tends to slide out. 1/4" ply seems okay, though. Anything heavier overcomes the friction and slips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts