Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bid a bathroom high cause I didnt really didnt want it , got the job and now have to do my best. Just remember if you bid it you have to do it. I know it could be worse just saying they say bid it high if you dont want it,but you still might get the job if you dont really want it dont price it. my bad..:whistling

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
What to tell them?

How about..."I was almost hoping I wouldn't get it, but...just my luck, you wanted me anyway. I'm flattered, but to be honest with you Mr. Jones, I still really don't want to do it."

That's the beauty of working for yourself.

And believe me, they don't want someone working on their house who's mind is on 'anything but the job'. If you're honest about it, they may not like it, but they'll respect you for it.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
well..that depends on who signed what.i mean if he's saying he has a signed proposal he may not do it if he don't want to but he could get sued

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well in a way you got what you wanted. I know you don't want to do the job, but if you bid it high, I'm assuming the money is pretty good.

I don't know if I, personally, would pass up a job with high profit potential. Who knows what good may come of it.

All it seems to me is a little self-imposed adversity. Something we can all overcome.

But in the end, if you don't want to do it, don't do it and take the chance of having your reputation take a hit.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
well..that depends on who signed what.i mean if he's saying he has a signed proposal he may not do it if he don't want to but he could get sued
That's one reason I don't sign my proposals. I also have the "Great, I'm booked until October but I'm really looking forward to starting on it."

·
Super Moderator
27,678 Posts
That's one reason I don't sign my proposals. I also have the "Great, I'm booked until October but I'm really looking forward to starting on it."
Just had that conversation :thumbsup: I love it. Hopefully they wait though......

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
If you really don't want a job, others might feel the same. Then you are in a pricing war that you still may lose...wink, wink. If you don't want to man up and say no thank you, then you have to leave yourself an out. Whether its schedule or something else.

·
spazman
Flooring
758 Posts
The whole premise is hilarious though... since I never heard of anyone actually getting a job that they bid too high on purpose :laughing:
I have had it happen to me. If I go to bid a job and the place smells like a kennel I will price it high enough not to get the job but if I do at least it is tolerable.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Everyone has their price. For the right price, I will even work on dookie water plumbing and it'll be worth it. That price however, is probably three times what the most expensive outfit in town would charge.

So when you're bidding high on jobs you don't want to not get it - make sure it's high enough so that if you DO get it it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts