Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
We do come across it on occasion in homes built during the early 20's and earlier. Not as much as we did many years ago. Most homes have been remodeled and updated.

This was live from a remodel we did a few years back and the pictures to the right show what it was feeding. Yes, those splices where just hanging inside the wall cavity. Typical home DIY hack work.

Electrician cut it all out and ran home runs to the bathroom

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,826 Posts
If memory serves, the first NEC code book came out in around 1897. Ken is that about right? (He probably actually has a copy of it)

A lot of the actual text, if not the intent, of the 1897 dates back into the early 1880's.

I would never have guessed that it was used well into the 60s.
It was legal to install up until the 1999 NEC. In the 2002, it was still allowed, but restricted to extension of existing installations and by special permission. With the grounding of branch circuits required, as well as the new AFCI requirements, it's been pretty much killed it off.

That, and you can't buy the stuff any more anyway.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
In Ottawa it was used well into the 30's just about every house in my neighborhood still have it either in use or abandon in the walls.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have never come across a house that used it, then again most houses in our primary area were built in the 80's and up. Some of these weekend warriors do a really good job of hacking up modern wiring, knob and tube looks tedious to install so I can imagine how bad they could screw that stuff up.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I'm more older than some and less older than others, but to answer your question I just remodeled a house in Dallas that was built in the 30's, and it had knob and tube. Some of it was still hooked up and working.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
From about the 80's to the late 20's. Before that, we used gas lines.

:wheelchair:

Seen gas lines in a circa 1900 mansions retrofitted with electric AKA gas lines made good conduit. The retro fits, per best guess, was 20-30's. with cloth insulation.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Theres alot of knob n tube around here (part of my house still has it for the lights) My boss is 71 and says guys were still installing it into to 50s here

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I had a turn of the century house once and it had the knob and tube and it also had an old "fuse box".

This "fuse box" was something like a copper or brass handle which you closed on maybe 8 circuits and each circuit had a cylindrical fuse. It was cool as hell and I always wanted to hook it up so that I could demonstrate it for people and have the updated electrical go on and off as I operated it.

It would be great to have something like this above the fireplace and when someone said something about it, you could open it up and have a nearby light go off and make them believe your whole house was operating off it. Maybe get it to make a buzzing sound and throw some sparks as well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Majority of the houses here that are built say prior to 1970 have K & T wiring. The rest first and second generation romex.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,826 Posts
March 23, 1967 at 11:37:44 AM EDT. That's when the switch was made.

At that time on that date, all K&T materials mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen again, and rolls of NM were left in their place.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts