Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
I remodeled an old farm houyse built circa 1885 and it had knob & tube wiring.

Why you just asking older guys?.....:whistling:laughing::laughing:

I'll bet a few of the young pups around here seen it also....:laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reason why I asked the question, worked in a house today doing some drywall repairs, and the HO said the house was built in the '50's 1950!
has the old knob and tube in the attic and the basement, romex in the walls we are repairing. The house has smooth block walls in the basement, not like my own house that has the "wavy outside" block that is older.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,451 Posts
K&T in a 1950 house does sound a bit odd, at least for PA. That certainly wasn't the standard at the time, though I have no idea when it became non-code.

I grew up in an old farmhouse built in the 1850's, and it had the cloth twin-conductor. No idea when the wiring was put in.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
Here's a question. When was the first year they used building codes? I thought it wasn't till the 60's
I think the first UBC was in the 60s but there's evidence of building code going back more than a thousand years. I remember seeing it, it was something like; if a man builds a house and it fails and the family living in it dies, then that man and his family shall be slain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.