Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you? When, or what time frame, was the old knob and tube wiring installed? Was it in the 20-30's 30-40's?
Thanks, dave

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I remodeled an old farm houyse built circa 1885 and it had knob & tube wiring.

Why you just asking older guys?.....:whistling:laughing::laughing:

I'll bet a few of the young pups around here seen it also....:laughing::thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
28,204 Posts
Only ever seen it on the old ranch homes here, early 1900s.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
1882 house had it.
1921 house has cloth 2 wire
1959 had modern style romex but was missing the ground.

Some examples I have ran into.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,826 Posts
1885 to 1965.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I'm only in my 20's and have worked on over 10 knob and tube houses. All from 1830 to 1920. The early ones definitely had been remodeled around 1900.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reason why I asked the question, worked in a house today doing some drywall repairs, and the HO said the house was built in the '50's 1950!
has the old knob and tube in the attic and the basement, romex in the walls we are repairing. The house has smooth block walls in the basement, not like my own house that has the "wavy outside" block that is older.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,057 Posts
K&T in a 1950 house does sound a bit odd, at least for PA. That certainly wasn't the standard at the time, though I have no idea when it became non-code.

I grew up in an old farmhouse built in the 1850's, and it had the cloth twin-conductor. No idea when the wiring was put in.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Here's a question. When was the first year they used building codes? I thought it wasn't till the 60's
My last house we remolded the bathroom it was built in 1959 and had a plumbing inspection sticker stapled to the stud. That is the oldest inspection sticker I have ever scene.

Cole

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
Here's a question. When was the first year they used building codes? I thought it wasn't till the 60's
I think the first UBC was in the 60s but there's evidence of building code going back more than a thousand years. I remember seeing it, it was something like; if a man builds a house and it fails and the family living in it dies, then that man and his family shall be slain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts