Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of white railing do you find most cost effective. Not least expensive but can be put together with confidence of longevity and relative ease and looks good.

I personally would like some ability to put a chase pattern in the railing but its not a necessity. The client is absolutely adamant on white railing and no paint.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Speaking of the Transcends...

I got these last week on clearance. $5 each rail section (reg $69.95), $5 each post sleeve ($39.95), and $10 for box of spindles ($69.95)

All in all I got about $2500 in railings for about $240. Looks like momma is getting new deck rails for Christmas. Now I just have to find a great deal on some composite decking.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Warren said:
Speaking of the Transcends... I got these last week on clearance. $5 each rail section (reg $69.95), $5 each post sleeve ($39.95), and $10 for box of spindles ($69.95) All in all I got about $2500 in railings for about $240. Looks like momma is getting new deck rails for Christmas. Now I just have to find a great deal on some composite decking.:thumbup:
Man that is a bargain. Did someone ordered them and back out of the deal ?

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Warren said:
Speaking of the Transcends... I got these last week on clearance. $5 each rail section (reg $69.95), $5 each post sleeve ($39.95), and $10 for box of spindles ($69.95) All in all I got about $2500 in railings for about $240. Looks like momma is getting new deck rails for Christmas. Now I just have to find a great deal on some composite decking.:thumbup:
Those post sleeves are for 36" rails. But it's probably ok where your at

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Those post sleeves are for 36" rails. But it's probably ok where your at
This is for our own existing deck. I will have to move a few posts to accommodate 72" railings, but no big deal. The one catch is that the spindles are the "lantern" color (brown) while the rails and post sleeves are white. They didn't have any white spindles. I will either paint them, get white ones, or go with a two tone look.

I have no idea why they clearanced them. The other Depots here still have them at regular price. I bought 15 posts, 15 rails, and 8 boxes of spindles. More than enough for my deck. They probably had at least that much more.

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Warren said:
This is for our own existing deck. I will have to move a few posts to accommodate 72" railings, but no big deal. The one catch is that the spindles are the "lantern" color (brown) while the rails and post sleeves are white. They didn't have any white spindles. I will either paint them, get white ones, or go with a two tone look. I have no idea why they clearanced them. The other Depots here still have them at regular price. I bought 15 posts, 15 rails, and 8 boxes of spindles. More than enough for my deck. They probably had at least that much more.
The two tone is very popular, those colors will look nice.IMO. The thing is the color railing is about 30% more expensive then the white. Too bad you can't find a buyer to swap them out if you really wanted the white balusters.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
The two tone is very popular, those colors will look nice.IMO. The thing is the color railing is about 30% more expensive then the white. Too bad you can't find a buyer to swap them out if you really wanted the white balusters.
I probably wont do the rails until summer so maybe I can look around or post on CL. The wife isn't opposed to the two tone so we will see.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We're doing an ipe/garapa deck with white rails. I personally like the look of contrast, still trying to talk her into ipe post and white composite rail.

Mike, I was leaning towards transcends as I didn't mind installing their decking at all and being as I am completely ignorant of any composite railing I might as well go with what I am most familiar (even though its minimal) with.

I tried pushing her towards black powder coated pickets with ipe post and top/bottom rails... she wasn't having it. Sooooo... Warren, do you think I could have them shipped to Florida from that location?

Mark, you're a wood guy who used the transcends railing right? If so what was the learning curve? Its about 450' lineal feet of railing if you include the stairs.

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Deckhead said:
We're doing an ipe/garapa deck with white rails. I personally like the look of contrast, still trying to talk her into ipe post and white composite rail. Mike, I was leaning towards transcends as I didn't mind installing their decking at all and being as I am completely ignorant of any composite railing I might as well go with what I am most familiar (even though its minimal) with. I tried pushing her towards black powder coated pickets with ipe post and top/bottom rails... she wasn't having it. Sooooo... Warren, do you think I could have them shipped to Florida from that location? Mark, you're a wood guy who used the transcends railing right? If so what was the learning curve? Its about 450' lineal feet of railing if you include the stairs.
What ever you do steer her away from the Trex black round metal balusters. Or if she is adamant about them tell her they will rattle when you walk. I've had problems with that. I think Mark installed the universal railing that included a top cap. Makes things a little more difficult. But it is not the application you are after, I believe. Will this deck have stairs?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What ever you do steer her away from the Trex black round metal balusters. Or if she is adamant about them tell her they will rattle when you walk. I've had problems with that. I think Mark installed the universal railing that included a top cap. Makes things a little more difficult. But it is not the application you are after, I believe. Will this deck have stairs?
3 sets, 1 winder in the front and two straight in the back.

If I was doing black I was going to go local for pickets, aluminum powder coat with ipe top and bottom, but she wants nothing to do with paint of any kind on the railing.

Mike have you ever used the radiance rail? I just don't want to give myself a huge headache with something I've never used, so ease of installation is going to be a big upside for me.

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Deckhead said:
3 sets, 1 winder in the front and two straight in the back. If I was doing black I was going to go local for pickets, aluminum powder coat with ipe top and bottom, but she wants nothing to do with paint of any kind on the railing. Mike have you ever used the radiance rail? I just don't want to give myself a huge headache with something I've never used, so ease of installation is going to be a big upside for me.
No I haven't, to be honest but I would have no problem using radiance rail, TT makes a great railing. Might even be easier to install too. What has my attention is the winders you are talking about. Are you going to need radius railing? If so there's a company for that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We use the radiance rail and the radiance rail express all the time. You can just use the RRX post sleeves with the RR and save a little $. The RRX sleeves are smaller. The RRX is faster and cheaper but is not quite as finished as the RR. The RRX mounting brackets are exposed.

RR can use 2x2 or pipe balusters that don't rattle.
RRX is only 2x2.

Transcends and RR are about the same price and the RRX is less.

I think the RRX is about the best price for something that is good. Both of these hold up very well over time.

You can order it curved right from the mfg.

http://timbertech.com/products/finishing-touches/curved-rail/

·
Super Moderator
44,694 Posts
Deckhead said:
What's the company's name? So you can't bend the railing?
Yes you can bend Trex yourself if you so choose.

Here's a company which is very efficient at it.

Www.bughinc.com

They have Trex railing in stock, you call them and fill out there form, that includes the rail rise and rail run, or you can send them a template however you want to do it.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts