Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is pretty much the maximum reach for a jcb 506b :laughing:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,661 Posts
How has that machine been working out for you? Would you recommend that brand over a different one? Our framing load has been increasing again in the last two years and I am considering a purchase.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
My buddy has the same machine. It has good reach for it's compact size. His has been very dependable. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How has that machine been working out for you? Would you recommend that brand over a different one? Our framing load has been increasing again in the last two years and I am considering a purchase.
Hey Warren,

You probably know this, but this is actually the second one I have purchased. I thought that I was finished framing so I sold the first one in the spring of last year. Then 4 months later I purchased this one because I had 6 houses lines up:laughing:

I bought both through ebay, sight unseen. Both wee good machines.

A couple things to consider with the purchase.

1 Shipping. Shipping from out of state or out of country is EXPENSIVE.
I was able to purchase a better machine for the same price, because I bought it closer to home than the first time. (uship is handy)

2. Parts/service It a good idea to get a machine that has a good dealer network. These are simple machines, (at least mine have been) so it's easy to find a guy to work on them, but you still need the parts.

3.I have a 6000 lb/ 36' machine and it works for 99% of my jobs, (with the jib) but most guys will recommend a bigger machine. $$$
Kyle DMR has a BIG gradall that is 55'/10k IIRC and he swears by it.

I bought JCB this time because 2 of my friends have them, and they have had no issues . (neither have I)
I was thinking resale, JCB is the most common lift around here so It should bring more money when I sell hopefully.
It has been reliable, but the hydraulic system is a little weak compared to the last lift. Don't get me wrong, It does fine but I think I preferred my first lift.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Your right, I could never get a smaller sized machine. Granted the majority of the houses I do I can't get access besides the front yard, and most are 3k+ sqft.
First pic I am parked OFF the lot (approx 40' from back of house) lifting up 3 stories and gable is about 11' tall ontop of that. That is maxed out for me. With a 20' jib on not to mention

Second one is only half boom out, and only 12 of jib. Obviously I can get closer, but who wants to get in the mud when the road is nice and clean.

My old boss had a 506 when I first started, then moved upto a 535-140 JCB. I liked both of them, but they really were limiting on weight at full reach. His 8000lb 45' couldnt take a full stack of studs all the way out. Both were easy to operate, JCB dealer local in town so parts would of been easy to get I imagine as well. I would also imagine that 506 would be great in the mud, as it can't weigh anything near what the big machines do. Mine just sinks and gets stuck, always.

Attachments

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
The JCB is 4 wheel drive while the Gradall is not, am I right?

·
Registered
260 Posts
JT Wood said:
I think that the gradall is 4x4 but it might be rear steer only.
Ya the gradalls are 4x4 but rear steer. I can't stand them. There terrible for getting stuck in deep mud when you try and turn. I like the bulk and the well built construction, but the steering alone would forever keep me from buying on. One mans opinion anyway.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Ya the gradalls are 4x4 but rear steer. I can't stand them. There terrible for getting stuck in deep mud when you try and turn. I like the bulk and the well built construction, but the steering alone would forever keep me from buying on. One mans opinion anyway.
The Gradall's are selectable 2 or 4wd. 2wd has a pretty good top speed for cursing down the road. It was a steep learning curve when I first bought this machine. Was always used to 4wheel steer. Now that I am used to it and have some good hours of seat time I am perfectly happy with it. You are right that they suck in deep mud. Useless honestly. But having 65' of boom flat down infront of me with a jib, I find it rare I need to be in deep mud. Doing a small 1800sqft house right now that I can reach front to back from the driveway, without the jib. A rarity I will add though

That all being said, i'd take any machine over no machine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts