Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Guy who makes things
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I'd like to build a brick garden wall/planter for my wife this summer. I have a couple of questions, if you'll help me out I'd appreciate it.

I'd like to make an 8" brick double wythe wall on a concrete footing, about 30" high. It'll be a rectangular planter, about 16' x 3'. So, four walls. I feel fine with the brick itself, but the only thing is that my foundation knowledge is pretty basic.

I know that the best way to do things is to reach below the frost line with a stem wall and place it on a footer that is twice the width of the wall. But I have a feeling that it's overbuilding to do that. I'm wondering what an acceptable footing would be.

So specifically:
- I can pour sonotubes and fashion a grade beam with piers to reach below the frost line. Is this a good way to go? If so, what spacing should I make the sonotubes, and with what reinforcement? How deep should I make the grade beam?
- Or if this is still too much of an overbuild, and I can just use a plain footing at grade, how deep/thick should I make it?

My biggest fear is that I'll spend a bunch of sundays working on this and that the frost will crack the wall.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Given that it is in the garden, I would want to go mortarless if possible and just stack the brick. It might be more stable to use retaining block.

You could do one course of brick alongside each other lengthwise, then the next course with the brick going perpendicular. I have a wall like this which has been standing for 7 years and the brick were fairly irregular old terra cotta type brick. The wall must be 4' tall.

I would just put in a trench maybe 18" deep and as wide as a compactor and compact some 3/4" minus stone in there and stack on that.

How is the drainage in the area you want this?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Plumb=lead, plumbers used to use lead pipe for nearly everything, Thus Plumbers.....

Plumbers and refrigerators have saved more lives than all the doctors and nurses ever....

·
Guy who makes things
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy mackerel... that's a fantastic link!

Thanks so much. I'll study it fully and post when I'm done (hopefully August)

Keith

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Over code, I would put ladder wire corners in every course extending at least 2 or 3 feet, if not all the way around. Every brick planter issue I have seen is at the corners.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
May I suggest possibly 16 x 4,...install 12" wide trench footing possibly belled to 16" if poor soil exist. Place your crete just below grade and start building.

As far as the wall, you can back it up with 4" cmu, I'd probably use 6" so I could extended rebar from the footings and grout it solid when your done.

Then you could cap it with some thermal blue...The wifey will love ya and the wall will hold up nicely over the years.

Kinda like this little retainer I built with another side to it...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts