Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
JDC Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up

I'm planning to put on a one room addition with shed style roof. I've never did my own footer but I'll have help from a concrete guy. Problem is, I don't think he knows code, and I'll admit I don't the code on this.

So far the way I designed it is in the picture.

Footer dimensions 12'' w x 18'' - outside dimensions 12.5' (coming off house) x 23' long.

But frost line is 36'' so I don't know why he told me this. My intuition is telling me do the footer below that and block the wall up above grade. But is that really necessary for a one story addition? Or will this plan work when it comes to footer and 6'' slab poured into the middle.

Just trying to wrap my head around this.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Wrap your head in the phonebook, and call a contractor:w00t:

Actually, if you do a shed type roof, then you don't even need a footer:thumbsup: (edit-this is sarcasm)

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
what's a footer? I have heard of these, people actually use them?........:whistling

Put it on a slab and just pour the concrete extra thick:thumbsup:

·
JDC Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoa

Whoa looks like I walked into a trap with my first post. I am contractor, a young one albeit, this is my first footer JOB ever and I'm not afraid to do it and I don't want to mess it up. I'm not some DIY'er, I just wanted to ask some of the pro's I'm curious about this type of work and want to get it straight before I build.

:thumbsup:

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
Whoa looks like I walked into a trap with my first post. I am contractor, a young one albeit, this is my first footer JOB ever and I'm not afraid to do it and I don't want to mess it up. I'm not some DIY'er, I just wanted to ask some of the pro's I'm curious about this type of work and want to get it straight before I build.

:thumbsup:

Than pay someone to do it for you and watch closely to learn

It also makes me iffy, that you claim to do "design" yet you know nothing about footers? hmmm...

·
JDC Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not like I haven't done this kind of work before. I know how to layout, form, pour, finish concrete etc. My question is on the codes for when I submit the plans.

But seeing now that I really don't need a footer I'll just submit the plans and await approval, I guess. Geez man I just like having the facts.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
If you are unsure don't you think it would be best to speak to someone local? Or even more simple, pay a contractor to do it?

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
It's not like I haven't done this kind of work before. I know how to layout, form, pour, finish concrete etc. My question is on the codes for when I submit the plans.

But seeing now that I really don't need a footer I'll just submit the plans and await approval, I guess. Geez man I just like having the facts.

If you have done it before why can't you do it now?

·
JDC Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It also makes me iffy, that you claim to do "design" yet you know nothing about footers? hmmm...

I don't know much about footers. and Yes I do design and renderings, but somehow If I don't know about footers I'm not a designer??? And yet in you're first post you say ''just pour it extra thick''. Very calculated.

·
JDC Owner
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have done it before why can't you do it now?
I can do it now, ALL I'm trying to figure out is the proper codes and such, I'm approaching this like an engineer. Sorry but that's how I am, it seems like most contractors out there are just like yeah do it like that or yeah that'll work .

·
Eater of sins.
4,709 Posts
Hey I checked out your web site and you look to be a legit business man and a professional contractor.

You have to understand that we get a lot of DIY'ers that pose as contractors and post questions like yours for their first posts.

We have a LOT of fun flaming them, one of the things I like most about this site.

I am curious though why you do not have any plans for what you want to build? Don't you have to be concerned about the frost depth there in PA? Should the footing be about 24"-36" deep bellow grade to keep from heaving during the winter?

What design program are you using? It looks like Sketchup with maybe Turbo Sketch as an add-on rendering engine? Or is it some kind of Punch brand software?

Andy.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
legit?......................whoops......:whistling

Take me to jail bob, disorderly conduct, and disturbing the peace.:laughing:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I can do it now, ALL I'm trying to figure out is the proper codes and such, I'm approaching this like an engineer. Sorry but that's how I am, it seems like most contractors out there are just like yeah do it like that or yeah that'll work .
Don't you have a set of Code books?

If you don't and you are doing design work you should get some, BTW a good engineer wouldn't go on a website and ask people he has no idea what their credentials and qualifications are to help design a room addition.

Do you have to submit sealed drawings for a permit?

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
What's up

I'm planning to put on a one room addition with shed style roof. I've never did my own footer but I'll have help from a concrete guy. Problem is, I don't think he knows code, and I'll admit I don't the code on this. ...........
Footer dimensions 12'' w x 18'' - outside dimensions 12.5' (coming off house) x 23' long. ............
But frost line is 36'' so I don't know why he told me this. My intuition is telling me do the footer below that and block the wall up above grade. But is that really necessary for a one story addition? Or will this plan work when it comes to footer and 6'' slab poured into the middle.

Just trying to wrap my head around this.
If you're using 8" block, I don't know
how anything less than 16" width will fly.
Thickness depends on soils and code
where you are.
Here, most conditions, I pour 24"X8" deep.
Start with your finished floor grade,
and work down until your footing thickness
and even block courses work out
at least 36" below finished grade
(or what ever your frost depth is.)

Look for your codes here:
http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/
The price is right. :thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts