Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2'x2'x8' footer. Any tips on setting forms for a pour that needs to be level with grade? Normally form boards are above ground so that the finished work is above ground. On this job, I need the finished work to be level with the grade but doing so will result in concrete filling up around the "outside" of the forms until it reaches my finished height.

One thought is to have plywood forms extend all the way to bottom of excavated site too contain the concrete but that seems like it would be a bear to remove the forms afterwards as they will be 2ft deep.

The excavated site is 6 inches wider than the finished work so I have 3" all the way around to contend with.

The footer is for a cantilevered sliding gate; gate trolleys will be anchored to this footer and travel thru a track that is welded to bottom of gate. See attached image for general idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
General Contractor - Residential
912 Posts
I didn’t read the OP closely but put in grade stakes and fill the holes with concrete. The earth will be your friend and serve as the forms.

·
Registered
OVERQUALIFIED CBC / RBC / RBI
1,288 Posts
You'd be better served to hire a Professional.
Dials 867-5309
CC: Concrete Contractors, How may I help you.
HO: Hi. I need a price to have you pour 2 cubic feet of concrete.
CC: HA HA HA .. CLICK

• Haha
Reactions: Thom Paine

·
Registered
347 Posts
2'x2'x8' footer. Any tips on setting forms for a pour that needs to be level with grade? Normally form boards are above ground so that the finished work is above ground. On this job, I need the finished work to be level with the grade but doing so will result in concrete filling up around the "outside" of the forms until it reaches my finished height.

One thought is to have plywood forms extend all the way to bottom of excavated site too contain the concrete but that seems like it would be a bear to remove the forms afterwards as they will be 2ft deep.

The excavated site is 6 inches wider than the finished work so I have 3" all the way around to contend with.

The footer is for a cantilevered sliding gate; gate trolleys will be anchored to this footer and travel thru a track that is welded to bottom of gate. See attached image for general idea.
I don't think I'm missing the intent of the questions....but will digging to depth solve some of your issues in getting your pour to grade? If you have to drop it, that bulkhead is easily done.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,689 Posts
All footing are below grade. Very, VERY few reach to grade level, and usually because someone screwed up. 🤣

Its very simple. You either overdig to give yourself enough room to build forms, or you do earth formed footings.

Earth formed with grade pins are a pain in the ass, but feasible.

·
Registered
General Contractor - Residential
912 Posts
All footing are below grade. Very, VERY few reach to grade level, and usually because someone screwed up. 🤣

Its very simple. You either overdig to give yourself enough room to build forms, or you do earth formed footings.

Earth formed with grade pins are a pain in the ass, but feasible.
Dang Seven, haven’t seen you around in awhile. Good to see ya, BTW, earth formed with grade pins is all we do here.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,689 Posts
Dang Seven, haven’t seen you around in awhile. Good to see ya, BTW, earth formed with grade pins is all we do here.
Thanks man. 👍

Got a little tired of all the know-nothing blowhards, the diyers, and the members that should know better, helping the Diyers. 😳🙄😡🤣

So I took a break. 👍

But I missed some of y’all’s, so I poked me head back in.

Big props to the TinMan (@Tinstaafl ) for all he does ‘round this place. Keeps it worth coming back to. 👍

Back to forms: 🤣

Only about half my jobs have solid enough soil to do earth formed footings. When I’ve done them, I though it took longer getting the top level and smooth enough to build wall forms ( or lay block) than it would have taken me to just form it.

Im also dealing with a ton of rebar. 16” O.C. Stubs are the norm here. 🙄👍

1 - 16 of 16 Posts