Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We have a footbridge site that has been up a year and half.

www.forwardplumbing.net.

Results have good but not great. We are first page ranked when we search "sicklerville plumber" but we are not getting the volume of calls per week (at most 5) that we would expect. we got a few jobs initially that has covered the site to date, but that payoff is running out.

I have had some mixed results and experience with this site:

-I had to drive a lot of redesign, article creation and they do not rotate content a lot, such as the ezine articles.
-We did change site look/feel and business address because we moved, which was a mistake because the old town we were based in is more densely populated so we switched back with some improvement.
-We do not have a physical business address because the business is mobile and we have a large home office. My husband doesnt want our home address there.
-We leverage their newsletters which take a lot of proofing, editing and time to get out the door.

However, it is still our best producing marketing tool. I then came across their additional PPC campaign services where they offer for an additional $225/month-

Custom built key worded PPC campaigns for your business [Learn More]
Active, ongoing campaign management
Custom display ad creation by our designers [Learn More]
Display campaign creation and ongoing campaign management
Remarketing (Learn More about this powerful advertising tool)
Direct Campaign Reporting
Free $100 in PPC spend
First month of service only $49

Has anyone done this? I know at $150 month we could be spending more on SEO. I am willing to make an additional investment if this works. We also want to create an equally strong presence in HVAC which is more financially lucrative than general plumbing.

Otherwise, we are considering paying $30 a month to be listed on elocalplumber.com.

Or, is it common that people leave footbridge and turn site over to someone else who can do a better job? Essentially we like shell of site but want better content design, to create more presence in HVAC and hell get the 10-15 calls a week I see people touting on this site!

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
I have had a FB site for 6 years. I have revamped it once and getting ready to do it again. I would strongly urge you to come up with your content that will attract your target audience. I now have basically added most of the verbiage on my site.

FB does great at SEO but their sites also mirror themselves, same content just different company name.

I get on average in Denver about 3-5 calls a week on average over the whole year. Some weeks I get 3 a day for 2-3 days in a row, some weeks 2-3 calls over the whole week.

FB has been great to me and I plan to let Aaron do his thing but with some direction from me.

As to the PPC, try it for 2 months and see what happens, Aaron and his team are good at SEO so I imagine this is in his wheelhouse.

·
ConstructionMarketingPro
154 Posts
Hi,

We have a footbridge site that has been up a year and half.

www.forwardplumbing.net.

Results have good but not great. We are first page ranked when we search "sicklerville plumber" but we are not getting the volume of calls per week (at most 5) that we would expect. we got a few jobs initially that has covered the site to date, but that payoff is running out.

I have had some mixed results and experience with this site:

-I had to drive a lot of redesign, article creation and they do not rotate content a lot, such as the ezine articles.
-We did change site look/feel and business address because we moved, which was a mistake because the old town we were based in is more densely populated so we switched back with some improvement.
-We do not have a physical business address because the business is mobile and we have a large home office. My husband doesnt want our home address there.
-We leverage their newsletters which take a lot of proofing, editing and time to get out the door.

However, it is still our best producing marketing tool. I then came across their additional PPC campaign services where they offer for an additional $225/month-

Custom built key worded PPC campaigns for your business [Learn More]
Active, ongoing campaign management
Custom display ad creation by our designers [Learn More]
Display campaign creation and ongoing campaign management
Remarketing (Learn More about this powerful advertising tool)
Direct Campaign Reporting
Free $100 in PPC spend
First month of service only $49

Has anyone done this? I know at $150 month we could be spending more on SEO. I am willing to make an additional investment if this works. We also want to create an equally strong presence in HVAC which is more financially lucrative than general plumbing.

Otherwise, we are considering paying $30 a month to be listed on elocalplumber.com.

Or, is it common that people leave footbridge and turn site over to someone else who can do a better job? Essentially we like shell of site but want better content design, to create more presence in HVAC and hell get the 10-15 calls a week I see people touting on this site!
Part of the issue could be that you have all of the other landing pages setup for all of your local areas - but your site is not appearing on the first page for any of the other pages except for Sicklerville. If you are not showing up for the other cities, then those other pages are just dead weight. You're missing valuable traffic and leads from people in other towns in South New Jersey.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you've got first page (top 3 rankings) then I would let the SEO rest a little bit and instead focus on what gets your visitors to call.

#1. Your main call to action (your phone number) is smaller than most the text on your web page. This needs to change.

#2. Your LEFT hand sidebar has those two coupon buttons... Drop them DOWN and bring your Contact Form UP!

#3. Too many different colors, distractions, and font sizes..... As a customer WHERE do I start? It's all so confusing. They just want a plumber dammit! lol...

#4. Your service pages need to be expanded upon... As a plumber you've only covered a small portion of services you offer.

- water filtration
- water softening
- rooter and drain
- clogged drain repair
- green plumbing
- bathroom plumbing
- kitchen plumbing
- laundry room plumbing
- new construction plumbing
- custom plumbing
- emergency plumbing repair
- restaurant plumbing
- to name a few you could also add and expand upon.

More targeted pages creates a larger footprint... That footprint is what gives you good search coverage.

Carl

·
We Repair Garage Doors
274 Posts
garage doors

Great post Carlsore.

The information I am about to give you is not from any book or website post I have read, just simple creative thinking. Nothing is set in stone and that's why it is fun.

Instead of listing all the services you would normally list on your home page I would make a single page using each item as the header or <H1>. Then give a brief description for each service. Then link it to the home page only. No link goes to the page from the home page. Determine which pages/items from your list deliver more traffic and send a link to those pages only from one of the weaker traffic pages. It would be like a horizontal link.

The goal is to consolidate and build page rank to the page that converts (your home page). So instead of telling the customers about your company you can focus on making them call you.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Or, is it common that people leave footbridge and turn site over to someone else who can do a better job?
I could be wrong but I believe if you leave FB you can't take your site with you.

I would suggest giving FB a call and seeing what they can do to improve the amount of leads you are getting from the site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks-

Thanks for your suggestions.

We did have the site a bit more "slick" with less colors and lost traffic so we went back with the coupons and colors hoping to look more affordable. We also wanted the coupons to be on the front screen without scrolling?

However, your opinion on a few changes we would make:

-increase phone number font and put in more places
-add more services and bring to top vs our three part guarantee - should we list all of these services on the homepage with a link back to the individual page (as doorrepairsac suggested)?

Thanks-
A

·
Registered
529 Posts
We did have the site a bit more "slick" with less colors and lost traffic so we went back with the coupons and colors hoping to look more affordable. We also wanted the coupons to be on the front screen without scrolling?
Coupons and Colors hoping to look more affordable...? Think about that for a minute...

Then ask yourself what you really want your web visitors to do?

FYI - The coupons aren't even clickable/claimable... Total waste of real estate and why I suggested you put something ACTIONABLE there like your contact form. You should throw those coupons on a Facebook Page and make people "LIKE" your site to get them.

-increase phone number font and put in more places
Yes... That's a No brainer. You should have a very vivid, bold, bright hard to miss phone number. In several places.

-add more services and bring to top vs our three part guarantee - should we list all of these services on the homepage with a link back to the individual page (as doorrepairsac suggested)
I would create more service based pages for sure... The 3 way guarantee is fine, but doesn't belong as the focal point of your homepage.

Here's another issue...

http://www.forwardplumbing.net/nj/Cedar-Brook.html <--- No calls to action..., blank sidebar, no conversion form... Nothing. Many of your service area pages are like this.

Somebody has a lot of work to do on your website.

Carl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks-

Thank Carl and Kevin,

We are going to take these suggestions and I am going to totally rewrite most of the content (which I did for a few sections).

One area I have struggled with for Footbridge is quality content development. It does seem to me they focus on littering keywords to link to directory pages, that's it, but there's no eye for content.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
One area I have struggled with for Footbridge is quality content development.
To my knowledge, FB makes no claims on this either. Their system works well for some contractors, not so well for others, and as far as I know, carolina is right about the "you can't take it with you" point. I don't know this for sure, but based on what I do know I've always figured that to be the case.

I respect the fact that Aaron and FB have put together what is probably the best system you can get for the price he charges. But it is a canned system which means you are responsible for your own content.

I realize from your other thread that the company is fairly new so it can be scary spending a lot of money on your site. Carl's statement that somebody has a lot of work to do is very correct. You can save a lot of money on DIY, but it will slow your progress. You'll need to invest significantly to get a pro, but you'll get better results faster.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe if you leave FB you can't take your site with you.
Unless they've changed things recently, this is NOT correct. You can cancel your Footbridge account and transfer your Footbridge-created site to a different host. Upon your request, Aaron will provide you with your website's files so they can be uploaded to a new hosting account, then you can do whatever you want with them.

As for your question about trying their PPC service, my advice is to first improve the content on your site (especially on the page that will describe whatever service & offer you'd be promoting through the PPC ads). (That's not something included in Footbridge's PPC service.)

The best PPC campaign in the world will be a total waste of your money if what the prospects find on your site after clicking on the ad does not convince them to take the desired action.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update....

So after getting the overwhelming feedback to rehaul site vs. pour more money into PPC, I shot footbridge a note with a detailed list of requested changes, with an ask on how we can better organize an expanded list of services I provided to drive more search traffic.

All I got were some basic textual edits to the site-with no response to the additional ask on how to better organize the content. I can do this myself.

Since, I have raised I'm not happy and sent them a version of some of their best sites that they use to reel you in and asked, what does it take to get to what you show as your best work?

I can read the tea leaves we may not be with them much longer ...

We're willing to make the additional investment to make this right.

I'm thinking are two options -

Totally move to a new service provider (would love recommendations and if you offer not just web development but will help provide direction to aid us ACTIVELY marketing the site-please EMAIL ME)

or

Have someone else totally redesign then turn it back over to footbridge to manage the SEO???!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
confirm-yes you can take the site with you

Also confirming Bonnie's note-you can take your site with you.

One thing I do note they do is that although you can list multiple service areas, your search is totally focused on one town (for us, we only rank on "sicklerville plumber". When you sign up, they sell you that you will "own your area" as they wont' manage a site for another similar contractor in the same town.

However, one issue we have is we are in NJ, which is the most densely populated state and it's not uncommon to have towns average 1-3 square miles...so we also want to rank in 4-5 towns because that is how many are in a 10 mile radius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
I use FB and have been happy with them, Aaron always makes changes very quickly , that said i am aware of their services that fit into the price point they charge. My suggestion is to find someone to write the content for you either from here if someone is willing or use textbroker and use a 4star writer.

Have someone write a weekly blog post and post it to your blog, and throw a keyword at your homepage, and send one to the town page you want to rank for. 300-500 words is fine, add a picture or a video if you make those, week after week mix up the town pages, add links to you inner pages and you will begin to climb towards being visible.

Off the top of my head it took me about 6-10 blog posts with a keyword to arrive on the first page for that town. Multiply that by about 15 towns and multiple services, and you have a lot of writing to do.

Of coarse some additional seo will do you a lot of good. dont think for what FB is charging that you are getting state of the art seo. Your not, you will rank for your town, a couple surrounding towns, and possibly the state. domain age will begin to earn you trust and additional ranking.

For a site with as many keywords as you could have 2k a month for a year would be easy, so you are not going to be pulling in crap tons of keywords for a buck fifty.

FB also made it clear to claim your google places listing and optimize it till you are at 100%. They encourage everyone to blog, because it moves your keywords. They gave you a list of citations to get, as well as some other stuff. Did you do that stuff?

Carl has some real good suggestions, but I would throw a couple Aarons way a month, not ask for pretty much a new site.

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
SJPlumber,

You've received excellent advice from CBS, Carl, and Bonnie so far. Why don't you give the 3 of them a call to see what they offer, if your looking for a new web designer?

·
We Repair Garage Doors
274 Posts
If you want to use my guy send me a private message and I will give you his number. I get average between 400 to 500 calls per month from his service. I have a full time guy just to answer the phones, he used to be my competitor. Or you can just call, my number is in my profile, Todd will answer just ask him for the number.

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
If you want to use my guy send me a private message and I will give you his number. I get average between 400 to 500 calls per month from his service. I have a full time guy just to answer the phones, he used to be my competitor. Or you can just call, my number is in my profile, Todd will answer just ask him for the number.
400-500 calls per month :eek:

That is some very impressive SEO work if true..

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
Yes-already taking your advice. We are excited to refresh this summer!
Excellent! You won't be dissapointed. I looked into a FB site years back, and wasn't very impressed with their services.

You will be required to pay more money upfront with the 3 mentioned above, but the results are worth it IMO..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts