Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new residential construction:

Inspector says we have a few areas where the staples are not within 8" of the boxes and no more than 2 romex under a staple. No problem right?
Just a couple corrections.

Wrong, I send out my nephew( the one who wrecked my truck and lost all hi stools) with a box of staples etc.. he decides that within 8" of a box, is removing every staple that is within 8"and re-stapling past 8". That's right every box in this 3500 square feet house.

It took me nearly box of 100 staples to realize , what the hell just happened. I nearly had a heart attack, seriously. 20 staples max probably would of fixed the corrections, now I ran out of staples and have to return tommorrow, since HO wanted to ad some more lights anyway.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,518 Posts
Communication means you both understand what you both understand.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Communication means you both understand what you both understand.
My wife even told him to to call me, when he got to the job, so he wouldn't screw anything up and just to verify. Never got the call.
He has done atleast 20 new construction houses, so I don't even understand why I even would need to communicate anything.

Staples, hammer go at it.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
We always get the 8" right, actually we do it at 6" to be on the safe side, but I've never had a problem with 3 or 4 cables under a staple. It seems that 3 or 4 under a single staple in the center of the stud would be better than 2 + 2 side by side.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,534 Posts
Wrong, I send out my nephew( the one who wrecked my truck and lost all hi stools) with a box of staples etc.. he decides that within 8" of a box, is removing every staple that is within 8"and re-stapling past 8". That's right every box in this 3500 square feet house.
Sorry guy, but I really have to award you with one of these: :bangin:

I used to work for a GC who saddled me with his nephew, cut from the same mold. I dealt with it for a few months and then gave the boss an ultimatum; him or me. Him left, and we actually made money for a while.

Family or not, sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
NM boxes, but there wasn't a difference between single, double etc..The GC was the one who walked with the inspector, btw this is the 1st time I have ever been hit on staples.
That's what's funny.
A single gang NM box without a clamp must be stapled within 8". Everything else is 12".

See NEC 334.30 and 314.17(C) Exc.

·
huntington beach, ca.
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what's funny.
A single gang NM box without a clamp must be stapled within 8". Everything else is 12".

See NEC 334.30 and 314.17(C) Exc.
The inspectors need to find something, so I don't agrue with this simple stuff. Everything was stapled perfectly to the code, in the 1st place then.
Never heard of more than 2 romex under a staple though.

I failed a inspection 3 weeks ago , for not painting the metal conduit i ran outside for the grounding wire. That was a new one.

·
ampman
783 Posts
when your inspector gets out of the truck with a tape measure and his code book its going to be a long day

·
Registered
537 Posts
All kinds of stupid going on here :party:

Whoever wrote the 8" code = stupid. 12" is plenty close

Inspector for nitpicking when he should be focusing on real issue = stupid.

The kid for losing his tools = stupid.

Last but not least.....you, for not showing the bonehead kid exactly what to do. I'll upgrade you to dumb :laughing:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
As slow as it has been the inspectors need to find stuff so they can come back out.I have noticed them being way more picky than usual.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thats the crummy part of employees...it doesn't matter how bad they mess up or what they do; and the end of the day IT'S YOUR FAULT!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,518 Posts
Thats the crummy part of employees...it doesn't matter how bad they mess up or what they do; and the end of the day IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Incorrectamundo. It's still the employee's fault. It's your responsibility.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why is it when the electrician holds to the letter of the code he is a superb electrician, but when the inspector holds to the letter of the code he is being picky

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Why is it when the electrician holds to the letter of the code he is a superb electrician, but when the inspector holds to the letter of the code he is being picky
Care to explain? In this case, and many others, the inspector was asking for something above and beyond code.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As slow as it has been the inspectors need to find stuff so they can come back out.I have noticed them being way more picky than usual.

Need I explain it more ??

The original poster stated the inspector stated "in a FEW places". Now that sounds like the inspector was looking at a FEW single Gang plastic nail on boxes that were not to code as far as staple distance. It was never stated exactly which boxes were in violation. So we can not say the inspector was asking for something above the code. That and the more then allowed by the manufacture,number of cables under 1 staple.

Is an inspector being too picky if he/she enforces the code to the letter?
No they are doing what they are being paid for.
Inspector asking for more then code ? Challenge him/her on it politely.
An electrician hates an inspector with an attitude just as much as an inspector hates an electrician with an attitude.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Too many electrical inspectors know nothing about the electrical business; of course real electricians are going to have a bad attitude.

For example, we recently did some permitted work for a new homeowner about to move into an old house here (700,000), and the idiot/corrupt inspector insisted that the kitchen needed to be brought up to code, even though it was completely unrelated to our work.

No matter how much my electrician argued, he couldn't teach the dumb inspector.

Unbelievably, the homeowner actually works with a watchdog group that goes after corrupt government people. She made one phone call, and that dishonest inspector totally backed off and disappeared. She must have had some contacts, because you can't do that easily in this city.

Yeah, we had the last laugh that time, but we don't always get the last laugh on all the dishonest/uneducated electrical inspectors out there.

And so what if an electrician is a jerk; if his work passes, inspectors should pass it, not power trip in their own little world like they are somebody.

Oh, I am stopping now; I shouldn't even think about this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts