Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Food-Safe Sealant

3830 4
I'm looking for a food-safe sealant.

My girlfriend made me a coffee mug for our handmade Christmas that we did and it needs to be sealed to keep the oil-based sharpie intact.

I also made a cutting board out of Corian at my solid surfaces class and would like to seal it just to keep it safe.

I saw a product called Pond Armor on the HD website at it's spinning the register reels at about $80 for 1.5 quarts.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Glaze & fire the mug.

Corian needs no sealant.
Corian is inert; it can't be sealed.
Reactions: JR Shepstone
Thanks for the replies. I just washed it and threw it on the counter.

Pictures of my handiwork.

Mouse Technology Electronic device Input device Peripheral
You're not going to be able to seal Sharpie writing onto a mug that will be used. If it will just sit on a shelf, it doesn't really need sealing either.

As far as the Corian, man, if you're taking a class, ya gotta pay attention! ;) The fact that it doesn't need sealing is one of the major selling points. And you are displaying the other major selling point right there in your handiwork. :) it can be worked (and repaired) with wood tools. Fabricators gotta know this stuff. It helps upsell the customer.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.