Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potential customer phones and wants an estimate for painting.

They inform you they will be supplying materials and will only pay up to $12/hr.

My response:

When was the last time you went out to eat?

Did you or have you ever taken your own food to a diner and told them what you were going to pay them to cook it for you?

And, How did that work out for you? Huh?

Most just stand there for awhile then sheepishly say "I never thought of it that way before".:eek:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
you should take the job, milk it, and have them order twice as much material so you can stock up for the next job.
You a roofer too??? :shutup:

JK'ing. No offense meant to the roofers, but I do know a roofer that always had excess shingles. And I do mean excess! Few bundles here, a few there, it added up to quite a few.

·
The Brains
210 Posts
ONE THing i have learned over time, not just in the construction business but in all I have been a part of, is that these type of people will never be happy. They will supply the absolute worst material, blame you for not magically replacing the shot molding that you said wouldn't come out right, and when all is said and done, they act as if they did you a favor when they pay u. It is a major issue in society today and I equate it to an undeserving idea of entitlement and self accomplishment. This is no more evident than in the service industries. Tell them craigslist has some great deals that they might be interested in

ahh just my rant for the monday

·
Registered
81 Posts
Potential customer phones and wants an estimate for painting.

They inform you they will be supplying materials and will only pay up to $12/hr.

My response:

When was the last time you went out to eat?

Did you or have you ever taken your own food to a diner and told them what you were going to pay them to cook it for you?

And, How did that work out for you? Huh?

Most just stand there for awhile then sheepishly say "I never thought of it that way before".:eek:
say sure, but you are on the clock as soon as you leave your house,you get a paid a two hour lunch,and expect cash at the end of each day with a large 5 topping pizza and oh I almost forgot a back rub right before you pull out.....of the drive way :w00t:

·
Pro
10 Posts
$12/Hr? I pay our rookie/newest employee $15/hr...I would inform the customer that they had called a professional painting company, not a volunteer service, and give them the phone number to Labor-Ready. Man I would be fired up to get a call like that, actually I just got fired up thinking about it...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Craig's list: Needed experienced drywall person. Needed two days of **/**/10. Bring knives have plenty of mud. $10 per hour.

Make you want to take a knife and a gun!

Can you imagine what they are likely to get with that ad? :laughing:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Actually, if some dw worker in this are and dodging the repo man, they might get a decent worker, I guess.
I said," .Can you imagine what they are likely to get with that ad?" :laughing:

I can also imagine what the worker might end up with!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had a guy call us about getting a front door removed and replaced (trimmed and prepped for paint) with us hauling the old door off and delivering. I told him our price (somewhere in the $300-$400 range. He was shocked and said he wouldn't pay anyone a dime over $50 to install it. I just thought to myself "What do you do that makes you think you're so valuable while skilled laborers are like some bottom caste in your mind? You friggin paper-pushers think you're so invaluable because you went to college and poured money into an institution that gives out more tickets than it does actual education."

Of course what I really I told him was that even the cheapest of hack contractors wouldn't touch an exterior door like that for less than $100, let alone haul it off. Some people are just idiots. They'll spend $100 on a bottle of wine that tastes identical to a $10, but they think that contractors "deserve" to be poor because they didn't go to school as long as they did.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
Actually, some of the better restaurants I have been to allow you to bring not only your own food, but also your own wines. They charge a corkage fee for the wine, and a have price to cook the (usually) fresh fish or game, but none the less the example is not a good one using restaurants. Use a quickie oil change place maybe.

·
Pro
10 Posts
To BuildersII:

It's not about paperpushers or people that went to college vs. skilled laborers. It's about perspective. Some people have it, a lot don't. I have a bachelors in marketing from my state school and now I own a painting company. I deal with the "just a painter" stigma daily. What customers need to realize is that they're dealing with a professional, whether it be building, painting, whatever you do. They need to realize who they are dealing with and why the value of your product is worth the amount you are asking.
Every bid, proposal, meeting, phone conversation, etc., the customer must be given some perspective on what is being discussed. I like dealing with people that have perspective, on life in general, or just the task at hand. I also enjoy giving that perspective to people who don't have it...

·
The Brains
210 Posts
well put. I would also like to add that we as construction workers have been stigmatized by the amount of hacks in the industry. More often then not you will find someone that is in it just for a check to buy a six pack for the night rather then a craftsman who takes pride in his finished product. This makes us all look bad, especially when its on more then one occasion w more then one "contractor." Its almost to the point where we have to police our own business to ensure that we still have one. If not, the term skilled laborer will further lose more and more of its meaning each day

1 - 12 of 12 Posts