Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned in another thread or 2 that we're building this bar. Thought some of you might want to follow along as we build it.

Finally got all my materials together, so I started making sawdust today.:clap:

Went to the local sawmill today & picked up the curly white oak we'll be using for the bartops. Nice wood, but it was $10/bd ft.:eek:

The panels are going to be circle blade cut, rough sawn white oak, sanded smooth. We'll put a coat of shellac on the panels, then stain them. Once dry, we'll sand the high points back to bare wood. One of the following pics will have a sample. I've had this wood in warehouse for at least 10 years. Actually, I'd forgotten all about it till he told me what he wanted the panels made from. Love it when I can sell something I've had so long.

The rails & styles of the main bar, face frames & rails & styles on the doors will be made from quartersawn white oak, sawn off my farm about 5 years ago. Just been waiting on the right project.

I got the panels resawn & planed tonight. Don't know when I'll make further progress, as this is an in my spare time project.

Here's a few pics to get you started. I'll keep this thread updated as we progress.

Here's my rendering of the bar.

Here's where the the bars going, under the bumpout.

Attachments

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!

Circle blade cut?

Never heard that term before.

Resawing on the band saw for bendable oak?

I've seen the earlier post.

Looks good man!

Most of the mills around here are using bandsaws now. He didn't want the straight lines, he wanted the old school round blade saw kerfs.

Nothing will actually be curved, 5 flat panels. Resawn for better utilization of the materials. Resawed down to 3/8" thick. The back side of the panels will never be seen.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a big board to be resawing ---hows the bandsaw working on that?
That board was actually 10 1/2" wide. 1" blade, with 2tpi hawged it out really well. Saw has plenty of power to run that blade. Course, I wasn't looking for a perfectly uniform thickness from the bandsaw. All those resawn boards took a trip through the planer afterwards.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Interesting--that bandsaw doesn't look all that big----another Grizzly,I see---

$10 a BF---That is enough to make you want to get into selling wood----

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finally found some time to work on this project. Mostly evenings & weekends, but we're making some progress finally.

Got the curly white oak glued up for the upper bartop this morning. Hopefully I'll get it sized & installed this afternoon. If so, I'll take some more pics. 4th pic shows how I'll be doing the edge detail.

Foot rail, will be faced with rough sawn white oak & the top will have the curly whiteoak.

Glad I took the time so make a full sized template. Sure has been helpful in taking proper measurements.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Panels look awesome. :thumbsup:

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'd like to see the circle mill that cut those boards----did you ask them to bend a tooth or two to give you the saw marks?

The mill I often buy from also uses a circle mill--but the cuts are clean,without the deep cut marks.

Very nice---just the right amount of personality in those panels---

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to see the circle mill that cut those boards----did you ask them to bend a tooth or two to give you the saw marks?

The mill I often buy from also uses a circle mill--but the cuts are clean,without the deep cut marks.

Very nice---just the right amount of personality in those panels---

I actually did see the mill those boards were run from. It was a very old mill under a pretty crude tin sided structure to keep the elements off.

I bought a lot of wood at that auction that day, for not a lot of money. I've had it stashed away on the secon story of my old shop for about 12 years. Truth be told, I had forgotten I even had it till he requested how he wanted the panels to look.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've always been fascinated with wood cutting---I don't think I could do it here--the neighbors already think I'm the scourge of the neighborhood---

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
You planning on shipping that in one piece?

Cool look!

Reactions: pinwheel

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You planning on shipping that in one piece?

Cool look!

The front skin, foot rail & upper bar top, will go as one unit. I want a seamless finish on that part & couldn't figure a way to make it modular & seamless both. I took your advice on the the rest of it, it'll all be modular & reassembled on site. There will be index blocks so it can be reassembled just as it lays on the template.

I got the upper bartop mostly rough assembled today. Should finish that tomorrow. I'll post more pics in the next couple days.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Man, these bartops have been extremely time consuming. But I'm really happy with how they're coming out. No way in hell I'd have been this far along without my rail saw. Preciate you guys talking me into buying it.

Still got to route the final edge detail cut on the upper bar & final sand. Lower bartop is roughed in, should get it finished up tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the main bar sent to the paint shop by the end of the weekend. Still got the backbar cabinets to build, but they'll be easy compared to this thing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts