Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. It’s been awhile since I posted and I’m sorry this ones going to be negative. I officially folded up the business today. Going to work for a painter tomorrow. At least he does quality work. Life sure seems cruel sometimes but I’ll get over it. There are brighter roads ahead if we’re not all blown to caplooyee by terrorists tonight. Oh well, I have a few tears in my eyes right now, and nobody to call that gives a hoot so I thought I’d sort of dump it here.

I’ll buck up now and be a man. I don’t want to come across as a boo hoo. That wasn’t my intention. But I did think what the hay. What better place to say “I failed” but a contractors board. LOL Ironic isn’t it. Keep up the hard work gang. :Thumbs: There are sunny days just around the corner. :cheesygri

Mark

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Sorry to hear it MS. Keep fighting the good fight. There's no shame in being gainfully employed by another. Ill be biting my nails everyday for at least the next 4 years trying to get my business afloat. Who's to say, with any certainty, that I'll succeed?

Almost 100 yers ago, Teddy Roosevelt wrote:
It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Look forward to seeing you around on a continued basis.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Keep your head up, aint no shame in trying, sometimes thiings dont work out and it's usually for a reason so I'm sure greater things are ahead for you. I've always said if I could ever find a good paying job with BENEFITS I would walk away from this fisaco in a heartbeat. If the phsyical part of the job dont killya, the mental part will!!! Every winter when it slows waay down, I always get real nervious and little bouts of depression set in since there are no give me's in this line of work and NOTHING is a sure thing.

At least you cowboyed up and gave it a shot, you can say I've been there done that, while most of the world says "I shoulda" or "wish I woulda"

Good luck with the new venture and your new employeer should be on cloud nine having somebody with insight on a job with what it takes to get it done and not have to babysit ya.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
At least you cowboyed up and gave it a shot, you can say I've been there done that, while most of the world says "I shoulda" or "wish I woulda"
That couldn't have been sayed any better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
MasterStrokes, sorry to hear about the biz but things will work out. As said above, things always seem to happen for a reason. It's just painful sometimes getting enough distance to see it.

Lastly, who you are as a person is not defined by what you do for a living. In the bigger scheme, it matters little.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Master Strokes formely know as 1/2 way farted, I think Prince mounted a come back, maybe things will turn around for ya with this new job. As others have said nothing ventured nothing gained. Hope you dont plan on leaving the board, we could use you insight and humoris posts since Glass has turned teckno geek. :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
magnum said:
since Glass has turned teckno geek. :cheesygri
WARNING! This is what unchecked sobriety might do to YOU! :Thumbs:

·
"Buy Quality, Cry Once"
726 Posts
Babe Ruth was the stirike out kning almost every year he played with the Yankees, did folks notice much?

Ruth understood full well that the hits help a whole lot more than the strikeouts hurt. He gave his philosophy in a nutshell with these words: Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. And when reporters asked him how he dealt with the occasional slump, he replied: I just keep goin' up there and keep swingin' at 'em.

A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials.
Chinese Proverb

He who labors diligently need never despair; for all things are accomplished by diligence and labor.
Menander

I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
Christopher Reeve

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus

Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but by how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst, a spark that creates extraordinary results.
Anon

The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.
-Pierre de Coubertin

Keep Swingin'
Don

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
“Thanks for the kind words everyone.” I was feeling mighty low last night, and needed to type out what I did. I felt like screaming and typing it made me feel better, so it served a purpose. I had my little pity party and actually enjoyed the cry. I let go of a few things I had harbored up inside. A few were non business related and I cast them to the wind.

Afterwards my spirit became overwhelmed with gratitude and thanks for the things I do have. Those little things no one can take from me. My dignity and pride. I looked up and saw a roof over my head. I let out a huge belch from the delicious beef stew in my stomach. I became thankful I had a job and would be able to work around people again and I showed up at 7am. The happiest dang fellow you’d ever want to meet.

The grand master of all painting, and pope of all paintopia laid out his diabolical plan to conquer condominium ceilings. I came armed with my weapons of choice, dipped my brush in the pail of victory and watched as clouds parted before me. A deep rumbling voice commanded from beyond “Mark be vigilant and of good cheer, and I shall coat thee paintith upon great surfaces before you. My hand is your hand and we shall prevail.” Nah just kidding…

The boss is nice, and we hit it off very well talking and working together. He wants the job perfect and I’m just the man to fill that need. The work atmosphere was pleasant and I look foreword to tomorrow. He’s leaving me alone on the job Thursday and said “out of 4 painters he’s hired in the last months, all 4 were let go within an hour.” I’d prefer he screamed out “I bow before thee MasterStrokes” but he’s probably saving that for Friday when he can’t pay me LOL.

Alrighty then, I’m happy and I hope you see I’m replying to your grateful messages in a good mood. Thanks For The Kind Words And Thoughts. I’ll pop in on occasion and say HiYa. Give the kids an extra hug tonight and tell em you love them. :Thumbs:

Keep safe gang……Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good luck with the new gig Mark, sounds like you've found a good guy to work for, that is if he pays you today. :rolleyes: :cheesygri: Hopefully all is still well. Very cool signature you got. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Master, sorry to hear about your failed enterprise. I guess that you have learned that being an expert in what you do does not qualify you to run a business.
Take some business courses and, when you feel ready, give it another shot. We all manage it, there is no reason that you can't too.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
He was in his second term.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know this thread has given me a great idea after reading between the lines. I’m opening my business in California with an innovative new approach to painting. I’ll name the business “Bullet Painting” My employees will wear bullet proof gear and apply paint with paint ball guns. :rolleyes: :cheesygri

1 - 17 of 17 Posts