Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Va alot of crews still use flashing on top of block then seal sealer then the seal plate. Is it necessary to use the metal flashing between the seal plate and block if you use the foam seal sealer? Thanks for replies.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Here in Va alot of crews still use flashing on top of block then seal sealer then the seal plate. Is it necessary to use the metal flashing between the seal plate and block if you use the foam seal sealer? Thanks for replies.
When I built my home, code enforcement told me that if a PT sill is used, no flashing was required. I stapled sill sealer directly to the plates and bolted them down. Flashing under the sealer will not seal well to the foundation and allow for air infiltration.

Reactions: dvd

·
Design Build
8,316 Posts

Are you sharp shooting the guys actually doing the job?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I've read a couple posts, this guy sound like the home owner from hell

ETA: With PT you don't need sealer or flashing.
I agree with the HO part, but sill sealer is used for filling in the inconsistencies of the top of the foundation to protects against drafts. We use it here in Maine all the time with PT. I do remember when I lived in WA State, we never did.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I agree with the HO part, but sill sealer is used for filling in the inconsistencies of the top of the foundation to protects against drafts. We use it here in Maine all the time with PT. I do remember when I lived in WA State, we never did.
That would matter for a finished basement, we mostly build crawls here unless its going to be a daylight.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
OP may be referring to this:
TERMITE SHIELD DETAIL

1) Termite shield</SPAN> or other shield </SPAN>
a) May be required to cap foundation wall and</SPAN>
b) Shall involve the following processes and materials overall, including corners </SPAN>
i) Termite protection shall be provided by pretreatment and</SPAN>
ii)Termite protection shall be provided by incorporation of a metal termite shield which </SPAN>
(1)Shall be corrosion-resistant</SPAN>
(2)Shall be single- or double-leg</SPAN>
(3)Shall be between foundation wall and foundation pier or</SPAN>
(4)Shall be between wall top of face and post or mud sill, respectively </SPAN>
(5)Shall extend </SPAN>
(a)To the exterior</SPAN>
(b)Not less than 1 linear inch beyond finish wall clad

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I never used sill sealer in Washington either until a builder from Arizona called Shea Homes came up here. They built mass homes in Redmond using a type of construction way different than what we were used to, sill sealer, foam board insulation, metal shear panels. It took everyone about four houses before they made any money off them because no one was used to it.

·
Pro
506 Posts
both sill seal and termite shield are code in some municipalities here, PT plate or not.

to me both are completely useless, but the termite shield is more useless than the seal so this is what I do:

1: snap lines
2: lay sill seal
3: lay copper coated sill seal
4: lay plates
5: layout
6: hurricane straps shoved under the plate and around to be back nailed.
7: bolt everything tight
8: corner hold-downs
9: shoot everything to see how horrific the foundation is
10: do the deck.

:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts