Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a special techinque to useing these things?

They dont hold paint for crap. On doors or certain trim I find myself using nap roller or brush to lay on the paint then back roll it with the foam roller to lose the texture.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don't hold paint well. I like the brushless look. I don't know what you mean by tipping the brush.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I used some to paint kitchen cabients. Nice smooth finish. Although I have used them for poly, I don't really like it that much. It does put on alot of product quickly, but I tend to get alot of bubbles that need more attention.
When I use them for poly, I do brush everything out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
They don't hold paint well. I like the brushless look. I don't know what you mean by tipping the brush.
after you roll the paint on you run the brush over the trim with the tip of the brush
nicko

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The Shur Line pads are actually great for getting a "tipped off" look over a wide area. They can create a very consistent texture. The down side is that you're not really applying much finish so it's not great as an applicator.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I use microfiber rollers instead of foam or mohair. They look to thick to use for doors and things, but trust me they roll out nicely and leave very little stipple. I would compare the finish to a foam roller, but without the bubbles that foam rollers tend to leave behind.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I find that foam rollers are very good for oil based paint to do railings, lintels over windows, metal fences, etc. but I always thin the paint down to get the best results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts