Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To save money I'm going to go in and insulate some areas of the house myself, I'm talking basic stuff like taking foam insulation and shooting around windows where air can infiltrate. Once they get the electrical in I'll also go in and insulate around the outlets. Any other ideas/tips/hints? My main concern is the bay windows, I notice that in some areas there is no sheathing due to angle etc just tyvek so I was going to use the foam there. The bay windows are not one piece.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Be careful not to use too much if you are using expanding foam. Most DIY homeowners can really screw windows and doors up this way. Then they wonder why its hard to open/close a window.

How much are you actually going to save? Couple Hundred???

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
GreatStuff makes a low expansion foam just for this application. You can buy gaskets for receps and switch plates, a lot less messy and cheaper than the foam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pondman said:
Be careful not to use too much if you are using expanding foam. Most DIY homeowners can really screw windows and doors up this way. Then they wonder why its hard to open/close a window.

How much are you actually going to save? Couple Hundred???
800 bucks is what I'm going to save!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh I get it now lol. I've only had 4 change orders for minor things, we did our homework and did almost all our upgrades in the original agreement. Regarding the basement, now that there are stairs and I got a chance to inspect it up close I'm not worried. It's cosmetic and can be fixed pretty easily...

·
Registered
206 Posts
You may think that you are saving $800 on the insulation, but that is above retail price. The more you nickel and dime your builder the more he will inflate costs for the headaches.

Glad you understand the basement concrete is only cosmetic like I said earlier, just like the front porch foundation was cosmetic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pondman said:
You may think that you are saving $800 on the insulation, but that is above retail price. The more you nickel and dime your builder the more he will inflate costs for the headaches.

Glad you understand the basement concrete is only cosmetic like I said earlier, just like the front porch foundation was cosmetic.
Actually he is the one that gave us that suggestion and he can't inflate any of the costs because all the upgrades are specifically priced on paper. I'm sure they were already inflated but hey thats how they make money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts