Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need to clean the gun when switching types of foam or can you just screw on the new can, dump a little and then go?

We now have a sub-floor gun, a gun we will use for doors and window, and then one we will use for everything else. We don't use enough of any other type to keep multiple guns going for every one.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Nope, just screw a new one on.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What's you definition of servicable ? You can take the fun apart ?

I had one of out Hiltis do a slight clog. It was getting dark and no electric on-site.......
I took awhile but I got it to unclog itself - the retainer ball just got stuck a bit.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Are they able to be cleaned if it cures? I have two that are all metal and serviceable and one plastic one.
Yeah you can polish the outside and hang it above your fireplace, or use it equally as a door stop or paper weight.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's you definition of servicable ? You can take the fun apart ?

I had one of out Hiltis do a slight clog. It was getting dark and no electric on-site.......
I took awhile but I got it to unclog itself - the retainer ball just got stuck a bit.
Parts are available and able to be replaced.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Store them with can left on, turn the flow to off.

Why you have different ones for sub floors and then windows/doors? Just use the same foam for all applications.

Hilti has a deal, buy 3 cases and the gun is free. It's not an advertised deal, just ask for it and they give it to you.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Any recommendations for which gun you guys like? I've been thinking about getting one (sorry, not meaning to derail the actual discussion)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Store them with can left on, turn the flow to off.

Why you have different ones for sub floors and then windows/doors? Just use the same foam for all applications.

Hilti has a deal, buy 3 cases and the gun is free. It's not an advertised deal, just ask for it and they give it to you.
Probably means for the adhesive.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I am wanting to get a foam gun very soon. Is hilti the way to go for the gun?

I have a friend who works at a supplier and they carry touch n seal foam. Is that good stuff?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
Store them with can left on, turn the flow to off. Why you have different ones for sub floors and then windows/doors? Just use the same foam for all applications. Hilti has a deal, buy 3 cases and the gun is free. It's not an advertised deal, just ask for it and they give it to you.
When you guys are talking about subfloor, is this gluing subfloor down with foam instead of construction adhesive? If so, what's the benefit?
Cost, quality, something else?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have a few of the Great stuff #14's and they work good. I do shoot cleaner through them when I change the can but seldom have to totally clean it out. I did it once on a day a storm rolled in and I was huddled in the trailer, figured it was a good time to spruce things up!

I have had 2- #13's and really did not like them, I'm not sure if it's all the plastic or what, but had not very good luck. They say that anything over 30 days and you should clean them out, I know I've went at least 60 days with no problems. I tend to keep 1 loaded for doors and windows.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts