Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody installed them? What your opinion on them?
I'm writing a bid for a t&g ceiling and/or beams. I figured the beams are simple, I have to find hand scraped t&g alder.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Pretty easy to work with, not cheap, i have dealt with a place fauxbeams.com or something like that. Its a bit confusing until you get familiar with all the different pieces and options, hangers, corbels, finishes , etc..... GMOD

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at faux wood beams.com. The things are expensive but less labor intensive than real wood. I might have a hard time spending 3-4k for foam :eek:.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fuax Beams

I have installed them and they are easy as anything. A couple of packers on the ceiling and trim nails to hold the beam. Any specific questions contact me anytime.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Real or Not?

They are pretty real looking even up close. You'll pay $300 to $400 depending on size and staining. Different woods different sizes. The one in the pic are 8 x 10. They look great wouldn,t you agree?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
They are pretty real looking even up close. You'll pay $300 to $400 depending on size and staining. Different woods different sizes. The one in the pic are 8 x 10. They look great wouldn,t you agree?

They do look good, IMO, GMOD.

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
WOW! :eek:

Just visited their site and about fell out of my chair when I checked those prices.
We built hollow beams out of real wood for several clients around here using plywood as an inner box and then wrapping pine/fir on the outsides with 45 degree bevel joists.

Since the work was as a sub to a local GC, I never realized the value of the Beams. I usually just hired on to build and install them. I'll be sure to increase my rate next time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
WOW! :eek:

Just visited their site and about fell out of my chair when I checked those prices.
We built hollow beams out of real wood for several clients around here using plywood as an inner box and then wrapping pine/fir on the outsides with 45 degree bevel joists.

Since the work was as a sub to a local GC, I never realized the value of the Beams. I usually just hired on to build and install them. I'll be sure to increase my rate next time. :thumbsup:

Definately, the $ is the drawback, i would like to use them but the cost is hard to justify. They almost look to good, i think they are cast from real wood so they look real good even up close, GMOD

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up a sample piece at the lumber yard. It looks pretty good up close. I'm sure it will look great 20' above the flr.
I am not bothered by the cost, the room is about 18'6" x 20' plus a stairway ceiling. Long beams out of wood = lots of labor, faux beams=less labor. I am also trying to sell them on the t&g ceiling

1 - 11 of 11 Posts