Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Let me start by saying I am sorry. I am not a contractor. I do not buy much DIY stuff and that is why I joined here. During registration it said to join the DIY if not a contractor, but I read the threads there and they do not apply to my situation. I collect military vehicles and have been gathering equipment to blast and repaint my trucks. I have a 190cfm compressor and access to 8klbs of black beauty that has been used only once. I just picked up a Clemco 2452 (600lb blaster) and cpf 80(breathing air filter) for a steal. They need a little work, but I hope to start stripping some trucks here soon. I will try to post some pics tomorrow(might have some questions on the accessorys). I have read many of the threads alredy and feel your experiance might help me greatly. Fist off, after the "Y" where the pressure pot output meets the air line at the bottom of the unit, the nipple is rusted away. After I replace that, where is a good place to get some hose and a dead man valve? I was told that I could use some of the air supply hose, but in some searches, I found at least 3 different types of hose. I will be starting off with the restoration of my 1953 International Harvester 5ton wrecker, also known as an M62. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Let us know what part of the country your in and we might know of a parts house close by to you for the parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Robb, with that equipment on hand, you might have the beginnings of at least a part-time business there. Use the new vocation to help finance your avocation. :thumbsup:

What state are you in?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Be sure that you have good clean hoses and new carbon filters for breathing. It doesn't take much carbon monoxide built up under a hood to make you sleep at room temprature and the stuff is colorless and odorless.

Have you done any blasting before?

Be sure to prime whatever you blast on the same day. Surface rust begins to form right away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about that guys, I hate when people don't tell you their location. I can't believe I forgot to post it. Cincinnati.

Yes, I will be very carefull with the air I breath while stripping. The 53 wrecker has a paint called "carc" on it. It stands for chemical agent resistant coating. It is bad stuff to breath.

I don't have any pics of the wrecker on this pc, or any good ones on photobucket, but this should link you to my latest creation. Its a standard m35a2c. That means it is a diesel troop carrier with a dropside bed. I have put in a 5ton power plant(more power!) and larger tires than stock. Most of the trucks I have (4 military trucks) are for fun. The wrecker will be getting restored, the others will get blasted and painted so they look good, but no body work.
Sorry, no pics till I post some more.

I wanted to get some pics of the blast pot and the accessorys it came with today, but had to help my uncle move.(worst thing in the world if you ask me) I will get some up tomorrow.

I can't give a price on stripping a vehicle as I have yet to do one. I might get laid-off in August, so I will let you all know if I decided to go "startup" for a buisness. Someone asked if I have blasted before. Metal I have done only with a siphon feed system, but I used to work for a restoration service and we did some blasting of concrete, stone, and brick to remove grafitti. So yes I have "some" blasting under my belt. I have a utility trailer I will be "cutting my teeth" with before I risk my wrecker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, looks like you can go to photobucket and change the search from "images" to "people". Try searching my user ID from here. Look in album "trailer" to see the trailer WITH my wrecker. The album "LDS dropside" will show you the truck I just put together.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still have a few posts before I can post pics. I did some looking online, looks like I have the important parts of a TLR100 or 300 remote control sytem. The parts missing would be the airlines to the trigger and the trigger itself. I guess they are attached to the blast hose that is missing from the setup. I looked at the tank and it looks like a 1980's build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the offer Mellon, but I still have to go through the blaster, replacing worn parts and fabbing a couple missing items. Shouldn't be too long before its up and running. I will hit you up after I get the hang of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what are some recomended helmets? I'd like to spend as little as possible, but understand that quality isn't always cheap. I was looking at a bullard helmet. It doesn't have the hose, neck skirt or clear guard with it though.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Check on a NOVA hood. fits way better than the Clemco and Bullard helments. They are cheaper as well. They also come with the Cool Air Tube. I have used this helment for over six years now and had always used Bullard and Clemco hoods. Everyone that has tried the NOVA has said that they would never wear a Bullard or Clemco hood again. The helment fits like a motorcycle helment. Stays put on your head. The Clemco and Bullard hoods are always moving around. When you are having to get on your head to blast hard to reach areas the NOVA hood stays put. The others will fall off your head.

Here is a link to one place that you can get them: http://www.nortonsandblasting.com/nsbnovahood.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK gang, this weekend was very productive! I got to go through the blaster, cleaned all the scale out of the pot, replaced some of the remote control air line nipples and hoses. Cleaned out the crap that was in the air filter/ water separators. Filled the pot with some BB and hooked up some air. She works great! Of course, I shortened what took place. It took my buddy and I almost 5.5 hrs to get to the test run. Also we have to get a hose that supplys the air/sand to the nozzle, gotta find an air valve to work the remote system, find a filter to go in the breath-able air filter housing, and find a hood/suit to wear while working. I was told this past week that I am getting laid-off in Aug, so it looks like this might provide some cash influx if I get it right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, the output of the pot is 1.25". I need to find some hose to install so I can blast more than 3ft from the pot. How long do you reccomend? 20ft enough? Is 30ft too much? I guess I should keep the hose the same size so it doesn't let the sand fall out of the air stream? Keeping the hose 1.25 should keep the velocity of the media high for better cutting, right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I got a blast hood on the way. Kind of excited to start working on my trucks. So I saw on another thread that you need to balance how much sand and how much air you get out of the pot. When I tested it out last weekend, all valves were fully open. Is there a way to "tune" the system easily? Maybe start with the valves half open and look for ? Is there any way to know what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Start up with your grit valve closed. Open slightly until you get abrasive to flow out and begin to blast. When you reach point to where you are getting enough abrasive to do what you want then leave the grit valve at that position. On a Clemco slide gate grit valve, Half Way is Wide Open. All the way to the left is closed, all the way over to the right is closed and in the middle position is fully open.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So my Bullard 88vx came in today. I looked at the Nova, Couldn't find it mich cheaper than $350. I got this bullard for $100 shipped to my house. Things are comming together! Now I need to get the hose, nozzle, and a trigger to operate the remote system and I will be ready to strip! Oh wait, that sounded kind of WRONG! :)

Anyway, Mr. Abbott would you have a pic of the grit valve you speak of. I hate to show my ignorance, but I am still learning.

Just a few more posts and I will be able to start posting pics! I'm sure you guys will get a kick out of the homemade blast tip we made to test the blasting rig. It was 1.25pipe adapted down to .5 inch pipe. We used black beauty as the media and only had eye protetion on. Man that residual sand hurts! Blasted a rim from a 6x6 that was pretty rusty. Cleaned it up in no time.

I am SO glad I found this forum. You all have helped me alot and I thank you for it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts