Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone else mention here that they were able to find full color two sided 8 1/2 x 11 flyers for less than two cents a piece. The best price I can find is around five cents a piece from gotprint for quantities of 5,000 or greater. I thought that was a good price, actually.

Anyone know who's printing them for less than two cents a piece?

·
ConstructionMarketingPro
154 Posts
I saw someone else mention here that they were able to find full color two sided 8 1/2 x 11 flyers for less than two cents a piece. The best price I can find is around five cents a piece from gotprint for quantities of 5,000 or greater. I thought that was a good price, actually.

Anyone know who's printing them for less than two cents a piece?
Possibly Vistaprint, but I can't confirm that.

Vistaprint runs some ridiculously cheap deals on stuff, so I would give that a shot.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
gotprint.com is probably the cheapest around. they beat local and pretty much all online printers.

I suggest you request a sample kit from them first. It will show you the different stock paper and gloss. Then go online, upload your design.

Fast and simple. Standard turn around time is about 2 weeks. I just placed an order for business cards.

·
Professional Talker
60 Posts
I print over $40,000 per month and I've tried out tons of online printing companies. Gotprint is definitely the cheapest published online but their turnarounds can take a long time like the poster above mentioned... two weeks usually.

GP really makes their money on people doing "rush 3 day" printing which is jacked up a ton more, as well as 3 day shipping which is overpriced a ton.

I use a trade printing account and I have a very low price because I do a lot of volume and my price I pay for 8.5x11 2 side color on 100lb aqueous coated paper (same specs as GP) is $189 for printing and $50 for ground shipping.

GP is $252 printing and $50 ground shipping.

So... GP will be the best you'll find as long as you can wait two weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did full color high gloss large post cards recently. A local print shop matched the cheapest price I could find online. I prefer shopping locally and it cost the same as online so I went with the print shop. The face-to-face interaction is nice and they were there to answer any questions and show me samples of how my mailer would look.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Guttersmiths said:
I did full color high gloss large post cards recently. A local print shop matched the cheapest price I could find online. I prefer shopping locally and it cost the same as online so I went with the print shop. The face-to-face interaction is nice and they were there to answer any questions and show me samples of how my mailer would look.
I always buy local regardless of cost. The benefits far exceed anything online.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Not always true, I had some locals quote printing 2,500 post cards, they wanted over $1 EA, that's just stupid. I could get bigger better cards on better paper for 1/10 of the cost. If it was a $50 difference I would have gone local, but come on, 10x as much?
Show me the benefit, since there is no way I could have afforded the post card campaign if I would have paid their rates.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
RobertCDF said:
Not always true, I had some locals quote printing 2,500 post cards, they wanted over $1 EA, that's just stupid. I could get bigger better cards on better paper for 1/10 of the cost. If it was a $50 difference I would have gone local, but come on, 10x as much?
Show me the benefit, since there is no way I could have afforded the post card campaign if I would have paid their rates.
I was speaking for me and what I do. I'm not sure what the deal is with your local printer but around here the local guys are competitive with the rest of the world.....at least within reason.

As far as being 10x more in your situation, are you saying you get the equivalent product for 10 cents vs $1? Does the 10 cent post card include various design and set-up help? Does it include physical conversation.....as in team work?

I don't know what your situation is but my return on marketing is quite high. I figured once that if I used VistaPrint instead of my local gal I might save around $600 per year at the absolute maximum.

All things considered that $600 is meaningless to me as it concerns dollars. For $600 I get the advantage of working with a company that's been around for 50 years in the very neighborhood I do business in. That family has easily provided me with connections that in the life span of my business is well into the 6 digits in value.

I sit on committees with these people and socialize with people they know. Anyway, I could explain till I'm blue in the face and it wouldn't matter or change peoples reasoning. I just know that what I do works tremendously well for me. Some people it wouldn't matter.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Same with the local hardware store. I buy a lot of my hand tools from the local Ace. The guy has owned it since I was a kid and even though I pay more than I would at HD that owner feeds me work by referrals on a continues basis. I can't even begin to put a value on it.

Besides, it's enjoyable going to the store and talking with him. HD makes me want to puke.

It's no secret social media is a big deal but the ultimate social media is one on one conversation with "connectors"....people who bridge the gap with hundreds of others. It's the very foundation of social media.

If people expect to generate a decent marketing campaign using social media via Facebook etc it usually helps if your socially connected on a local level. Not everybody can do that of course, not everybody has what it takes or wants to be social. It's funny though, how many of those people try social media and fail. It's no wonder.

So in the end I don't make buying things for my business about who is cheaper. I don't like it when customers do it to me so I don't do it either. Just like the $600 a year extra I pay, (which isn't really true because I get a better value) the extra $5 I spend when buying a ChannelLocks gets returned 10fold to my business. Yiu just need to see the long term effects of the decision instead of the short term effects of 5 bucks.

That said, not every business is in a position to do what I do and some businesses would never be able to capitalize on how I approach things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with Oconomowoc. I'm a member of the Buy Local group near me, and always try to patronize the local businesses. Networking is key to growing the company for me.

Regarding the print shop, if there was a 10x mark up at the local place, I would have to buy online too. Try shopping around and ask if they'll do a price match. My local printer matched the online price and helped with some of the set up stuff.

·
Sponge
175 Posts
We bought local once because we needed them quick for a trade show.
Double the costs, $400.00 more.
Half the quality and only half the order was ready at the last minute.

I know people want to help the small local places, I do too but with that extra $400 I would have spent it at other places, Instead I had to give it to a greedy low quality printer.

I guess the point is buying local is great, but at what expense?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

I know people want to help the small local places, I do too but with that extra $400 I would have spent it at other places, Instead I had to give it to a greedy low quality printer.

You mean that you only have one printer to choose from in all of San Diego?

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
If I bought everything local I wouldn't have half the stuff I have. I had my truck shipped from another state due to a $10k saving. I buy 99% of my electronics online as the online price are half the local prices. I do my 60% of my tools from woodcraft though as they are my local store and 100% of my festool gear from them also. They have an expert in every field which is great. There's only 2 business close to me I will buy stuff from because they know there products. The other lot ain't got a clue so they don't get my cash.

As an example I had local company get me a price on some new company work wear screen printed. Took them a month to give a price. Online was half the cost and ordered in 20 mins including design.

Another example I wanted a 4 seat electric recliner for my home theater. Local store $3800 and they didnt know nothing about the product. Online store $1500 and the guy knew everything about the product.

This is just the last couple weeks. Let alone the hundreds of other times I have tried to keep me money local but it's nearly always a let down.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
tyler durden said:

I guess $400 just doesn't bother me, but I don't need to buy 1000's of brochures either. Word of mouth saves me that money........which I get from buying local. Funny how that works.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
BCConstruction said:
If I bought everything local I wouldn't have half the stuff I have. I had my truck shipped from another state due to a $10k saving. I buy 99% of my electronics online as the online price are half the local prices. I do my 60% of my tools from woodcraft though as they are my local store and 100% of my festool gear from them also. They have an expert in every field which is great. There's only 2 business close to me I will buy stuff from because they know there products. The other lot ain't got a clue so they don't get my cash.

As an example I had local company get me a price on some new company work wear screen printed. Took them a month to give a price. Online was half the cost and ordered in 20 mins including design.

Another example I wanted a 4 seat electric recliner for my home theater. Local store $3800 and they didnt know nothing about the product. Online store $1500 and the guy knew everything about the product.

This is just the last couple weeks. Let alone the hundreds of other times I have tried to keep me money local but it's nearly always a let down.
No offense but that sounds like your making that up. It must be a strange thing to live in a town where everybody is dumb, double the price and slow as molasses. I must be lucky then because I live in a town where people are smart, competitively priced and quick. I can have shirts made from any place I choose in less than a week. Places like local furniture stores match prices all the time and quite frankly most of them are pretty knowledgeable. Not that I need them to be though, I'll handle the knowledge part.

I'm sorry, but that just sounds like bs to me. No town on earth is that bad. If that's a the case you should move to where normal people are. Lol

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I guess $400 just doesn't bother me, but I don't need to buy 1000's of brochures either. Word of mouth saves me that money........which I get from buying local. Funny how that works.
Different business models and plans. You probably complete 1-2 projects a day on average. that gives you 250-500 people a year screaming your accolades, that can result in good word of mouth with no backup advertising needed.
We do decks that range from $30,000-$75,000+ and they take 4-8 weeks. not exactly 100's of people screaming my accolades, plus their friends need to have that much cash laying around to invest in their home and not everyone does.

Whereas a plumber is needed on a regular enough basis and doesn't hand out proposals that cost more than most cars.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts