Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come in to finish a job that has sat for close to two years. All the plumbing and electric was updated and passed a rough inspection. I had a plumber set a toilet so we could work in the house and when we flush the toilet which is in the back east side of the house on the second floor, the shower in the downstairs bathroom on west side of the house fills up. Fortunately for the HO the shower pan was installed a few days earlier. The plumber is coming tomorrow morning to try to figure out what the problem is. Just thought yall would get a laugh out of that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Common problem

Blockage downstream. Maybe tree roots or damage that was undetected due to vacancy. Just took some time for it to back up to the house.

When coming into jobs sites that have been out of use for some time, especially older homes, it is a good idea to have drains thoroughly snaked.

·
4,617 Posts
Hope no one was dumping grout or other excess product down the drains. Makes plumbers grumpy to deal with. And we know what happens if the plumbers ain't happy... ain't no one happy.

Reactions: CScalf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plug was left in the waste line that goes to city sewage, from the rough in inspection. Easy fix though the plumber said it could be messy. Glad I am not a plumber

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I have come in to finish a job that has sat for close to two years. All the plumbing and electric was updated and passed a rough inspection. I had a plumber set a toilet so we could work in the house and when we flush the toilet which is in the back east side of the house on the second floor, the shower in the downstairs bathroom on west side of the house fills up. Fortunately for the HO the shower pan was installed a few days earlier. The plumber is coming tomorrow morning to try to figure out what the problem is. Just thought yall would get a laugh out of that.
so.. you guys take a poop while working !?! try not eating breakfast.:sad:

I would search and find your main cleanouts throughout the house.

The fact that waste water always flows downward lets you logically ferret out an obstruction. There may be more than one cleanout in your drain system. If so, find the cleanout plug nearest the sewer line and loosen it. If water forms around the threads, the trouble is between this plug and the sewer. If no water forms, the plug is further back from this cleanout. Move to the next cleanout back and check there for water. Once you find out where the clog is, insert your snake and be ready for a messy job.

Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts