Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am doing a bid here for an apartment comples, and it says that we have to paint the hollow metal doors, all I see in the drawings are flush metal doors, are they the same thing?? I thought flush metal doors were already pre-painted.
Also they seem to be located on closets and exits, what are they refering to in closets??? shouldn't the closets inside the units have wooden doors or are they talking about storages?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Apartments are more fun because of the fire code for multi-family units.
In answer to your question. Flush refers to the application, normal door. Hollow refers to the construction of the door itself which has no bearing on your project.
It's just some office jockey reading specs. off of a printout.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been trimming apartment buildings for the last couple months now. Generally each floor has a utility type closet, sometimes that gets a wood/mdf firecode door in a metal Timely frame (at least the ones Ive done) and sometimes it gets a metal hollow-core. The other areas I have noticed steel doors are on closets that house electrical boxes, furnaces, and alarm stations (last building I did was monitored senior citizen housing) as well as entrances to stairwells, parking garages, etc. Anywhere there are firecode regulations governing it. I doubt the entrances to the individual units would be steel doors, the ones I have been doing are solid core mdf, but you might run into a builder that uses steel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts