Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I lost me flow cup I bought from the UK that measures GPM so I'm looking for a place in US that sells them. Any ideas where I can order one of these online? The one like below would be great as its almost exactly the same as my old one. I'm also looking for a quality fluid filled pressure gauge in the 0-100/120psi range. Not sure what brands are good over here. My current one leaks.

Yellow

·
Registered
60 Posts
They sell that exact flow cup at my local merchants, I'd have to check the price but I think it was about £7.00 plus vat, if you can't find what your looking for in the US let me know and I could buy one and send it.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daveylad said:
They sell that exact flow cup at my local merchants, I'd have to check the price but I think it was about £7.00 plus vat, if you can't find what your looking for in the US let me know and I could buy one and send it.
Thanks davey. Have a lot of Familey still in UK who can grab one for me if need be but thanks for the offer.

I'm not sure what they are using over here to test flow rates! I used this thing a lot.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Borrow the homeowners measuring cup. No bucket needed and they get to "help" in the process---1 one thousand, 2- one thousand 3-one thousand………..:thumbsup:

You measuring device is just a glorified bucket, that won't hold water.:laughing:

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like to know GPM for installs before and after. Some products require a min gallon per min and them cups are a cheap easy accurate way to test and it be stored easy.

I have a situation currently where I have a volume and pressure issue on a shower and I can't find the dam thing.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Pull the cartridge and clean the screens on the inlets. I had to do it 3 times on one install, the water was so bad just shutting it off and turning it back on cause issues.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tjbnwi said:
Pull the cartridge and clean the screens on the inlets. I had to do it 3 times on one install, the water was so bad just shutting it off and turning it back on cause issues.

Tom
There's no filter screens on this cartridge. I have removed the one in the valve body that goes to the head but left the head screen in. I always flush the new plumbing before installing the heads so I doubt its a clog issue. It seems to point to the cartridge being a poor design or faulty as outside pressure and volume is great but through the valve its awful. I'm gonna try a new head on the shower too. There's no even enough pressure to give a positive seal on the bath spigot when the valve is closed for shower use.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
There's no filter screens on this cartridge. I have removed the one in the valve body that goes to the head but left the head screen in. I always flush the new plumbing before installing the heads so I doubt its a clog issue. It seems to point to the cartridge being a poor design or faulty as outside pressure and volume is great but through the valve its awful. I'm gonna try a new head on the shower too. There's no even enough pressure to give a positive seal on the bath spigot when the valve is closed for shower use.
I flushed the one I was referring to, still had to pull the cartridge 3 times.

Change the cartridge, something got in the pressure balancing device in the cartridge.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an idea that there's a problem on the hot side of the system. I'm thinking their hot pressures are lower than the cold. Not often I see this but they did have cold back feeding through the hot when the test plug was in the valve body. I will know more when I get over there.

Def gonna try flushing out the cartridge though.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
With the test plug in the cold will transfer to the hot, not unusual. More often than not the cold is first to reach the valve due to the hot water side having to fill from the tank.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the test plug in the cold will transfer to the hot, not unusual. More often than not the cold is first to reach the valve due to the hot water side having to fill from the tank.

Tom
When i mean back flow i mean cold out of the hot constantly unless of course the valves are closed. its that much difference in pressure.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts